Do you intentionally involve the scapula as a part of the radius of the windmill?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2008
Should one actively and intentionally involve the scapula as a part of the radius of the windmill?
Like, to have your shoulder really really shrugged up at 12:00 and really really low at release - as opposed to thinking the shoulder as the origin of the circle.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Intentional or not

Your going to use those muscles when you pitch. Just that action of bringing the hands down will activate the scapula complex. So, the question becomes if you know your going to use them should you work on making them stronger?

I know what my response would be to this question. I would like to hear others voice their thoughts.

Dana.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Make it stronger, yes. Make a big circle by keeping the scapula complex loose and allowing it to move, yes. Intentionally over-extend them in the windmill motion, no. Particularly shrugging the shoulder. As I understand the term shrugging the shoulder, it would actually restrict it, and could lead to injury.

As I've said before, the big muscles in the back are important for pulling the arm down on the back side of the circle. That will be stronger than pulling it down with the arm muscles.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Yes, the rhomboid muscles are the target muscles to work on to strengthen. One of our pitchers was sidelined last summer for over a month due to a strain in the rhomboids. Here is a link for exercises for the rhomboids: Get Rid Of Rhomboid Muscle Injuries With These Exercises! | Fitness Health Zone.com . Whether you are are throwing, hitting or pitching the scapula complex loads and unloads during the process. Also Alan Jeager's "Thrive on Throwing" stretches and resistance tube exercises are good for the shoulder complex.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13