Do you feel like a better Coach now big man?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I was coaching 12U C this weekend in fall ball. The entire league is designed around developing players. No tourneys, no trophies, and double header games against the same team. And second half of schedule is suppsed to be against "like" talented opponents. I guess my 3-11 team is the same talent as his 11-3 team. Well, my opponent decides he doesn't want to play a 5 run rule per inning (for some reason this isn't a rule for the "development" league", so coaches have to agree to it). Of course, he also has a monster of a team (his pitcher literally outweighed my pitcher by about 130 lbs). After getting outscored 30-1 in two games, I had to wonder, what was the point of putting my young team through this? And what was his point of refusing to play a run rule? His team was obviously at least a B level team. I was already aware my team is raw in talent. If I had to do it all over again, we would have left after the first game and not bothered to play game #2.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I am the most ruthlessly competitive person I know and I would have had my runners start early to give the other team some outs in this situation....he's just a prick...then I would have slashed his tires..

Jun 24, 2013
I am still mad we gave up that 1 run, my players are going to running laps all week because of it.

I love the run rule. We played this weekend and I think I saw 8 or so pitchers over the course of the double header. Sure both teams wanted to win but either Team could have won by only pitching 1 or 2 pitchers.

You should have the Manager’s Email; make sure you know the rules before you even show up to the game. You know at least one Team/ HC to avoid. Sounds like you played 7 weekends, hopefully they were good weekends for you. If not move Leagues. There are always some jerks you are better off just avoiding.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
The league somehow put this team in the same "bracket" as us for the second half of the season. Every other weekend, the coaches agreed to play 5 run rule. Some games this season we lost 10-1 with no regrets. Another game we were ahead 10-1 before I pitched a brand new pitcher (just started lessons) and we won 10-6. Without the run rule you can't develop your new pitchers. Well, you can, but who wants to be down 15-0 in the first inning? A complaint has been filed to the league. And I will never play this league again without the 5 run rule written in. We could have played 12U C tourneys all fall, which have the 5 run rule! The win/loss record doesn't matter in this league except to pair like talented teams in the second half. BTW: he was generous to take auto outs on bases for leading off early after they were ahead 19-1 in game two. Thanks buddy. I shook his hand after the game, but I did not say "good game"! That'll teach him!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Remember the first Mighty Ducks movie? What was their chant? "It's not worth winning if you can't win big." Sounds like this guy is right out of that mold.

The good news is that while his team may have a physical advantage right now they're not developing. Sounds like your players are. Maybe in a couple of years the tables turn. Then you can remember another saying - "revenge is a dish best served cold."

Jun 11, 2013
That was nice of him to step off at 19-1. Since you had scored 2 runs in 1.5 games prior he must have felt safe he could hold you to
17 the rest of the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028