do i pull or push?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
A couple of the MANY excellent points by Well:

rotational swing is not a grooved swing.

a way to state this using "PCR" terminology would be:

there is no such thing as a "standard swing". that is an entirely opposite approach from the perfect swing is the adjustment you make.

Also excellent points on "hip drive".

This is a very strong area of detail at hitting-illustrated.

Feb 19, 2009
Soooo ---- once the guardrail to UPPERCUTTING is broken and you get a kid to swing for the top of the trees or the moon, how do you get the kid who changes his PATTERN to then apply it in the game without POPPING UP all the time.

How does the uppercut swing get on plane, especially with the riseball?

How can you "tilt" and hit a pitch going UP?

I was watching the World Baseball Classic and the way pitchers tried to attack the Japanese hitters was UP and even the announcers kept saying that in batting practice the CUES and the preferred location was DOWN.

We keep comparing baseball to softball -- but in softball the hitter must be prepared to hit a majority of the pitches UP in the zone. Can an uppercut swing do this? What adjustments would a major league hitter have to make to better able handle a riseball? Or if a parent is going to advocate that his kid uses this uppercut mechanics in softball, then he must understand how those mechanics will benefit his daughter in competition. It just seems ILLOGICAL to uppercut at a pitch plane that is going UP. Help people to understand how this is LOGICAL>

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Daryl-

There are a number of readers here signed up so it helps them get there.

For example, rudy above has access and asks a very good "uppercutting" question.

You should try yourself if you have time on your hands in between moderating at hsbbweb abd now bbf.

It's "free" for a month which is plenty of time to get good info.

Thanks for asking and let me know if you have any more content related questions.

I know in the past we have discussed how Nyman's PCR model forces turning the arms/bat in the shoulder plane, and more recently there is a lot of interest in how early the hands are applying torque to the handle.

Let me know what you are interested in.

thanks a lot.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Rotational hitters should always be taught to swing level to the ball. The swing plane is adjusted to accomplish this goal. On high pitches the lead elbow levels out creating a flatter swing plane. On low pitches the lead elbow works up creating more shoulder tilt and a steeper swing plane.

I disagree that most pitches in FP are thrown high in the strike zone. When I watch the College World Series I see most pitches being thrown at the knees. How does a hitter hit a pitch at the knees by swinging level to the ground? How can a hitter hit a peel drop thrown at the knees by swinging down?

The rotational swing is not an uppercut swing. It's a swing level to the ball swing. Since all balls drop (including rise balls), the swing will have an upward plane on all pitches, with the posssible exception of the pitch at the letters.

May 12, 2008
Rotational hitters should always be taught to swing level to the ball. The swing plane is adjusted to accomplish this goal. On high pitches the lead elbow levels out creating a flatter swing plane. On low pitches the lead elbow works up creating more shoulder tilt and a steeper swing plane..

In your view, what arm or body movement in terms of joints accomplishes this?

I disagree that most pitches in FP are thrown high in the strike zone. When I watch the College World Series I see most pitches being thrown at the knees. How does a hitter hit a pitch at the knees by swinging level to the ground? ?.
Of course it can't be done. A question asked many times by many of us.

How can a hitter hit a peel drop thrown at the knees by swinging down?.

By tilting such that the swing starts down then starts back up into the ball as a result of swinging in a plane parallel to shoulder rotation. Analysis

The rotational swing is not an uppercut swing. It's a swing level to the ball swing. Since all balls drop (including rise balls), the swing will have an upward plane on all pitches, with the posssible exception of the pitch at the letters.

I basically agree with this except to say swinging level to the ball is over rated. You certainly don't want to swing down through contact but it's more important to swing in the shoulder rotation plane. To the extent that matches pitch plane due to good posture, great. This hitter certainly didn't get on plane with this pitch. http://home.mindspring.com/~rmk/ULL0001.mpg

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
The Epstein theory of plane matching has to do with how upright the axis is from the open view which goes along with the concept of "early batspeed", meaning the adjustment and acceleration happen spatially early behind the hitter permitting max readtime for matching the swing to the pitch.

so when you look for TILT in the Epstein/Williams system, look for the open view as with:

http://home.mindspring.com/~rmk/ULL0003.mpg

See Epstein article here for example:

http://www.mikeepsteinhitting.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=twY7PRybEFA=&tabid=64&mid=393

May 12, 2008

No one was better at adjusting posture for the up and in pitch. Gomez also knew what to do with the low pitch. Photo 2 of 16, ULL vs. UNT

Photo 3 of 16, ULL vs. UNT

But Mike hasn't quite gotten there. He dances around it in his discussion of the second Manny clip. I think he's working his way that way. I hear he's talking about weight shift. Here he's showing Manny with good tilt and a swing plane parallel to shoulder rotation at contact and he comes close to describing it. Give him a year to slide into it and I think he'll have it nailed. When he does, I'll recommend him. Count on it.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
I think Mike has always been there and his drills have always been consistent with the MLB pattern. His explanations of how they exactly/objectively work may be less than perfect but still WAY better than most of the alternatives.

I have always found his weight shift description to work fine which I think is because I like to tilt/"bypass" the shoulders and keep them in there, not turn them.

Mikes info will not work if you to force shoulder turn/bend at waist/middle out type action into it.

I also like Slaught's negative positive weight shift description and his throwing arm action.

Mike's descriptions include good arm action and the tilt prevents lunging and the weight shift description encourages the back leg/single leg/hip thrust type action that goes along with good arm action and shoulder tilt.

Hitting-illustrated has very good MLB pattern lower body/weight shift info among other things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi