do i pull or push?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Mark-

Sorry, I must have missed your answers. Can you point them out to me ?

I just saw another clip you posted of Gomez showing the difference in weathervaning for high (homer off Osterman) vs low (siggy single clip) as seen from the open view much as Epstein descibes it.

Maybe you could repeat the answer in case I missed it.

Or maybe you were confusing me with wellphyt.

Thanks a lot.

Feb 19, 2009
GOOD STUFF!!!!

Epstein article does a good job of explaining and showing the adjustments.

The Gomez clips are pretty good too!!!

Most female hitters in college softball on that Osterman inside RISEBALL would've either spun their shoulders and hit it foul or tilted and popped it up. Good hitters can make adjustments to the pitch.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
If anyone wants an excellent in depth analysis of how hitters do not tilt over the plate to get on plane, check out Jack Mankin's side by side analysis of Mark Teixeira hitting an inside pitch and an outside pitch. Jack's final conclusion is consistent with what I believe, and is consistent with what Epstein teaches.

The amazing thing when you watch Jack's analysis is how your eyes can play tricks on you if you view swings with a specific mindset of tilting over the plate. Because some posters had planted that seed in my head over and over again I thought I could see Teixeira tilting some over the plate. After Jack goes through his analysis it becomes clear that Teixeira's tilt in relationship to the plate is the same for the inside pitch as well as the outside pitch. There is no change in tilt over the plate.

I should also point out that according to the "siggy" clips, the bat is not always parallel to shoulder rotation. The reason being is that the hitter's lead arm is instinctively guiding the swing plane. In other words the brain is instinctively telling the hands to "go find the ball". IMO the shoulder tilt is a function of the shoulders trying to accommodate the hands as the hands try to guide the barrel to the ball.

Ted Williams, Barry Bonds, Teixeira, and many other elite MLB hitters, do not "tilt and then swing", or "tilt over the plate" to set swing plane or however you wish to descibe it.

Mark, it's clear that you and I do not see the MLB swing the same. My model has always been Ted Williams and any mechanics that deviate too much from his, do not fly with me. I'm not smart enough to come up with a better way of hitting than Ted, so I just take the easy way out and try and copy what he did. When I watch video of Ted it is clear that he does not tilt over the plate to set his swing plane, neither do many other elite hitters.

May 12, 2008
Tom,

I'll have to get back to you. Tied up now.

Rudy,

He does the best job I've seen him do yet.

Wellphyt,

I'll look at the Mankin analysis you spoke of as soon as I'm not swamped. I can find it but a link would be handy.

Yeah that hand development thing with the babies is the problem. More, later.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I'll look at the Mankin analysis you spoke of as soon as I'm not swamped. I can find it but a link would be handy.

Mark, I'm pretty sure you have already seen it. I first saw it on BBF. A few weeks ago you suggested I go to BBF and read a thread about early bat head movement or something along those lines. So I did. Someone in the thread posted Mankin's analysis. It was a real eye opener and confirmed what I have been telling my daughter since 2004.

May 12, 2008
My issue is with the lower half. I'm close with my dd, but I'm not there yet. She's getting the rear hip around and forward, but she doesn't have enough momentum/push/drive or whatever it's called. .

If you fan open the front foot without connecting this action to pelvic rotation and shift I wouldn't be surprised.

May 12, 2008
Ted Williams, Barry Bonds, Teixeira, and many other elite MLB hitters, do not "tilt and then swing", or "tilt over the plate" to set swing plane or however you wish to descibe it.

At contact in non fooled swings you will generally see this posture as illustrated by Siggy. Some tilt and then turn others fall into the tilt from a more upright position.

Attachments

• ropebat2.zip
    92.3 KB · Views: 206
May 12, 2008
Hands create shoulder tilt, that happens automatically! Fine motor skills start with hands, watch babies develop.

Any cue or swing thought that works is fine. As to babies, when they are young, they use their arms to manipulate their hands through space to grab the cup or what have you. Later, you put a bat in their hands and the natural inclination is to use the arms to manipulate the hands to manipulate the bat through space. Turns out an arm swing is not the most efficient swing. Some kids figure it out on their own. I'm told Kristin Rivera's swing was "factory equipment". Most have to break the pattern learned as babies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi