do i pull or push?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Mark-

I just saw another clip you posted of Gomez showing the difference in weathervaning for high (homer off Osterman) vs low (siggy single clip) as seen from the open view much as Epstein descibes it.

If weather vaning is a term to describe getting the front arm into the swing plane then using posture to line up the swing plane with the ball, ok.

May 12, 2008
Mark, I'm pretty sure you have already seen it. .

Probably have. Can you point it out and I'll read it again.

By the way, I found my old 90's Epstein video and looked at the first of it. He says the weight moves from the inside of the front thigh to the inside of the back thigh as the shoulder drops. That sounds like during rotation to me and more of a feel based cue than reality. Looked at some of the clips on Mike's site. What do you think of the Amanda Buckley clip?

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Mark regarding weathervaning:

"If weather vaning is a term to describe getting the front arm into the swing plane then using posture to line up the swing plane with the ball, ok."

Epstein does not use the "posture" concept, so you will need to explain what you mean here, ?bend at waist ? something else ?.

Epstein describes the initial adjustment to location as the body winds the rubberband going into toe touch, then the main on the fly adjustment is at "drop and tilt"/GO which is primarily controlled by front vs back shoulder position determining how much weight flows for4ward and where axis is set leaning more or less toward pitcher/upright.

Level shoulders takes weight more forward for upright axis/levels out swing.

Back shoulder down stops weight going forward and axis is less upright.

Linear momentum/weight shift/rate of center of gravity going forward is metered by degree of hinge at back knee which is slaved primarily to back shoulder.

The final fine tuning is by front elbow working in "slot" (slot in front of body, not slot for back arm). In this case the lead arm lifts the elbow up more or less off the chest. higher for high ball/levelling off swing.

level shoulders at tilt and upright axis and lead arm up off chest give level swing as for very high ball.

tilted shoulders and less upright axis and lead arm on chest means lead elbow works up more steeply as for low or offspeed/dropping location.

weathervane is a cue for the feel of the positioning of the lead elbow as it is involved in on the fly adjustment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598