Do colleges compete for players?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
So DD here is starting to get good initial interest from a number of colleges. In some cases the colleges are in the same conference and know each other pretty well.

What do you experienced folks know about this situation? Are there any unspoken "coaches codes" in respect to "I found her first"?

Any other relative guidance on dealing with multiple schools concurrently? Like when they ask to meet on the same dates etc?

Thx!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I rarely hear the good stories. I hope that there are some out there. So, I would say that they do compete for players, even to the extent of stretching the truth about their programs and the educational opportunities.

Dec 7, 2011
I rarely hear the good stories. I hope that there are some out there. So, I would say that they do compete for players, even to the extent of stretching the truth about their programs and the educational opportunities.

So Amy you think it's strictly business within conferences regardless if the coaches appear good friends?

(And ya I am very sensitive to what I get told based on some of the stories here and on other sites)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
What do you experienced folks know about this situation? Are there any unspoken "coaches codes" in respect to "I found her first"?

First, congrats for your DD. Second, it's a wild roller coaster so hang on!!

"Found her first" means nothing until someone makes you an offer. But even then it's just an "offer", like price haggling with a car salesman.

Coaches do talk, especially if they are in the same region. They can be pushy. My 3b had 2D1's and a nice NAIA going back and forth on her. Finally one of the D1 threw some more $$ at her and gave her a deadline of October 1st for commitment. Here is the kicker, the D1 who threw in more $$ found out she was to do a visit to the other D1 the following weekend Oct 5-6. ( yea they can be sneaky )

Any other relative guidance on dealing with multiple schools concurrently? Like when they ask to meet on the same dates etc?

My experience/opinion is to just be honest with everyone. We always told any coach exactly who we were also "speaking" with, like making a girlfriend jealous. :) Whoever asks for a "date" first and you commit, you just tell/ask the other to make a different date. If you have a few colleges interested it's a good thing, it gives you a tad bit of leverage.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Be careful. Not all in recuriting is buddy buddy. Some coaches take it personal as to who else in a conference is recruiting players. In my dd's experience, one school was very interested, watched her play four or five times in the summer and even came to a high school game. They had a camp in the summer but we had committed to attend another camp/showcase where some other conference schools would be in attendance. The coach asked us if some of those schools were recruiting my dd. We were truthful and said that we intended to go on unofficial visits to those schools as we had to this coach's school. It was not well received and that is an understatement.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Be careful. Not all in recuriting is buddy buddy. Some coaches take it personal as to who else in a conference is recruiting players. In my dd's experience, one school was very interested, watched her play four or five times in the summer and even came to a high school game. They had a camp in the summer but we had committed to attend another camp/showcase where some other conference schools would be in attendance. The coach asked us if some of those schools were recruiting my dd. We were truthful and said that we intended to go on unofficial visits to those schools as we had to this coach's school. It was not well received and that is an understatement.

Why was this coach upset? Your daughter is trying to make a very hard decision, one that can affect the rest of her life, and this coach wants her to not allow other schools to recruit her? And for what reason? Not sure I follow that.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Coogan'sBluff, don't know why and didn't ask. Called the coach the Thursday before we were to take the offical visit on that Saturday and they were no longer interested. Their mistake!

Coogan'sBluff, don't know why and didn't ask. Called the coach the Thursday before we were to take the offical visit on that Saturday and they were no longer interested. Their mistake!

No kidding if they are going to recruit with that attitude do you really want your DD playing there. Now if they had a full ride on the table and were telling you they had a deadline or they would have to start looking at other players that would be one thing but it sounds like everything was still in the unofficial stage.

Just seems really strange that if they were really interested they would be so put off by a girl taking an unofficial visit to another school, I say good riddance and off to other options.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
No kidding if they are going to recruit with that attitude do you really want your DD playing there. Now if they had a full ride on the table and were telling you they had a deadline or they would have to start looking at other players that would be one thing but it sounds like everything was still in the unofficial stage.

Just seems really strange that if they were really interested they would be so put off by a girl taking an unofficial visit to another school, I say good riddance and off to other options.

David, exactly! We didn't lose a minutes sleep. I think that they felt that they had recruited her for so long that she was a done deal for them. I know the coach is highly competitive and maybe is not the most liked coach in that conference. Recruitment for my dd, but if you read other posters who went through the process as well, is dog eat dog and sometimes it is just plain unpleasant. Of course there are good aspects as well. In the end, dd had so many options that one program dropping out was a good things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish