Dinger Exit Velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I have to admit, that seems a bit counterintuitive in respect of the whole energy in, energy out concept. I would have thought that higher pitch speed would lead to more bat compression up to the limit of that attribute (i.e. bat probably doesn’t compress more for a 70 mph than a 75 mph pitch, but will compress more than a ball pitched at 45 mph).
The bat and ball do play a role.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The speed of the pitch does effect EV. The idea "the pitcher is providing the power" may be overstated but has some merit. The type of spin the pitcher is applying to the ball will have next to zero effect in EV or launch angle.
The idea the spin of a rise ball will cause pop ups or the spin of a drop ball will cause ground balls is far fetch. That being said, rise balls may result in more pop ups and DBs in more GBs but not because the ball spins off the bat as some claim. There is no or very very little "english" on the ball.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If "english" played a role in launch angle then the opposite would be true. DBs would cause more pop ups and RBs would cause more GBs.

Apr 14, 2022
If there is no wind and average conditions (humidity, etc.) you can hit a ball 63mph at 31 degrees and it will just barely scrape over a four foot high 200-foot fence.

This is what I calculated. Kind of proud of my spreadsheet now.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The speed of the pitch does effect EV. The idea "the pitcher is providing the power" may be overstated but has some merit. The type of spin the pitcher is applying to the ball will have next to zero effect in EV or launch angle.
The idea the spin of a rise ball will cause pop ups or the spin of a drop ball will cause ground balls is far fetch. That being said, rise balls may result in more pop ups and DBs in more GBs but not because the ball spins off the bat as some claim. There is no or very very little "english" on the ball.
Did you see this? ⬇️
Screenshot_20221231-063907_Chrome.jpg

* disclaimer while there are those on the website that can handle physics, that is not my thing 🙂 so I rely on Google🥳

From my participation experience notice there are more grounders hit on drop ball pitches.
Be that from location or spin.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Did you see this? ⬇️
View attachment 27136

* disclaimer while there are those on the website that can handle physics, that is not my thing 🙂 so I rely on Google🥳

From my participation experience notice there are more grounders hit on drop ball pitches.
Be that from location or spin.
So the topspin of the CB (which is backspin for thr batter) would help provide a little more spin/loft to the batted ball???
Then the spin of rise ball or (FB in baseball) would resist the spin/loft of the batted ball.
Waiting on pattar.

So pitchers should be throwing high DBs and low RBs for best results. I really don't like those pitches but I know some throw them.

Jun 8, 2016
If "english" played a role in launch angle then the opposite would be true. DBs would cause more pop ups and RBs would cause more GBs.
The question isn’t whether pitch spin affects launch angle, the question is how much does pitch spin affect the batted ball spin for a fixed launch angle. We know that batted balls with back spin stay in the air longer because of increased lift. The batted ball spin is effected by the initial spin (spin at contact), eg pitch spin, and the contact point on the ball.

The study quoted by Nathan (that quote @RADcatcher gave was Nathan giving a result from another study) is that for an optimally contacted ball (“squared up”) the initial backspin of a curveball wins out in terms trajectory distance, compared to a fastball with higher velocity but less 12-6 spin.

With this in mind, getting back to your DB/RB comparison, the contact point for drop balls is probably going to be more likely to produce a negative launch angle because of the hitters inability to adjust and hence hitting the top half of the ball. In this way pitch spin does affect launch angle. However if they are able to produce a positive launch angle the ball would carry more than a riseball hit at the same launch angle because of the initial (eg pitch spin) 12-6 spin.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022
The spin on the batted ball has more to do with how the bat struck it than what spin the pitcher gave it. Thinking otherwise is ludicrous. Next we'll think the spin the catcher put on the ball throwing it to the pitcher also has an effect lol. Pitch location, sure, but that will be a result of swing angle and collision angle.

The number a I gave earlier was no spin. If you're hitter can generate lots of backspin or if you have a big tail wind, or you're playing at high altitude, less EV is needed.

Last, you will get higher EV from live pitching. I don't know anyone who can hit it further off a tee than they can off live pitching. Then, throw some game time adrenaline into the mix....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish