Dilemma with coach teaching HE (OP update)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
As it shoud, so does football, basketball, and tennis. Sorry @Bonesaw I don't think I am understanding what you are asking. There are many similarities to baseball and softball for sure. And some similarities to baseball and softball pitching, yet, they are different and I know you know that. Brush is part of softball because it is underhand. I have never heard brush as part of baseball in anyway at anytime. So not sure how baseball presents a problem to the brush idea. Again, not following what you are asking or saying...

Not surprised here honestly.

My question is how does a guy like greg maddox have pin point control, throwing overhand when softball is really just throwing underhand.

I think its because his drive/FSR mechanics and "arm circle" were so consistent.

This makes me tend to agree with armwhip that brush is merely a byproduct of good mechanics.

I think it is much more beneficial to focus on the causes than the result.

Feb 25, 2020
Was there something to be surprised at? I think you answered your own question that I still don't know what it is...... but I will take a stab at it..... Consistency. Again, not sure what point you are trying to make and honestly trying to help if at all possible. Yes, it is absolutely more beneficial to focus on the causes, what I like to call mechanics, and the results will be there. Sorry, just struggling to understand your question, if there was one, as you still haven't presented that. Could you please just ask the question??

Are you asking, do you make brush happen or does it happen on its own if you have proper mechanics? Just trying to figure out what you are trying to understand. I promise, I am not trying to criticize anything you are saying, just not sure what you are asking is all. But I can say for sure, baseball does not have brush. Softball does have brush which leads to consistent pitches. Again, 2 different sports so there should be no surprise.

How do baseball pitchers do it with no brush.

Feb 25, 2020
They throw from 60.' Thats ~40% farther. To the same strike zone! And a small ball. Doesnt add up to me.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
How do baseball pitchers do it with no brush.
@Bonesaw I was trying to delete my previous post but you answered it before I could. :D :D The reason for the delete was because I asked you "what your question was" and then went back and read it again and you clearly stated your question so my apologies for that.

You question was and I quote..... " My question is how does a guy like greg maddox have pin point control, throwing overhand when softball is really just throwing underhand." @Bonesaw I would be lying if I knew the answer to this as I don't study baseball pitching mechanics. Never have and likely never will.

Your second question is "how do baseball pitchers do it with no brush?". Again, I will have to answer the same way. I do not know, but just a guess, is that they have a CONSISTENT release point. Again, I don't know for sure, and can't really answer as I don't study baseball pitching.

I could ask the same questions to myself about why Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes throw a football to their receivers pretty darn accurately. My guess, and I don't study the QB position, they have an accurate release point but I am far from even a novice on the topic.

So now I have to ask....why are you asking about baseball pitching. I know you know this is a softball site. Sure, there are similarities, but there are just as many differences when it comes to pitching.

S3

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
My thing is I always understood(since I watched my first hillhouse youtubes) underhand throwing as the same as overhand. And we have all these phenomenal overhand thowers being very precise and accurate.

I just think the things to focus on may be arm circle, stride, posture consistency vs brush. Brush may just be a by product.

On the other hand, striving for brush may improve the things that are cxtually important(drive, FSR, arm circle).

I dont know. I just tend to be a skeptic.

Oct 26, 2019
Accurately throwing overhand Is in our genetics and it’s instinctual.. It’s a very natural motion that humans have used for thousands and thousands (or maybe millions depending on your beliefs) of years since we started throwing rocks at rabbits hunting for our food. Overhand throwers are accurate for the same reason that basketball players can shoot a basketball and as soon as it leaves their hand they “know” that it’s in. Most of us call it “feel”.

Jul 31, 2015
Accurately throwing overhand Is in our genetics and it’s instinctual.. It’s a very natural motion that humans have used for thousands and thousands (or maybe millions depending on your beliefs) of years since we started throwing rocks at rabbits hunting for our food. Overhand throwers are accurate for the same reason that basketball players can shoot a basketball and as soon as it leaves their hand they “know” that it’s in. Most of us call it “feel”.

Sure.

But the reason why softball pitchers can safely throw 500-600 or more pitches a weekend and baseball pitchers are limited to ~100 is because windmill throwing aligns with our natural shoulder rotation and elbow hinge, whereas overhand throwing is a more force-filled, explosive action.

It’s kinda like jogging vs sprinting.

We can do both, but we can sustain jogging for a much longer period of time and without injury. (Because we have springy tendons and ligaments in our legs (which apes lack 🦍), narrow waists (😜), a great sense of balance, large glutes, and the ability to store 20 miles worth of glycogen in our muscles.)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Rachel Garcia and Ally Carda in my opinion have poor pitching mechanics.

Pitching mechanics have advanced much since then. I know since i have been coaching now for 35 years and finally got a handle on it. I'm 81 years old and I believe I can move the ball much better than Ally and Rachel. They may be good pitchers but pitching has changed since then and now the I/R total whip is done sideways then follow through
Mr.B Hillhouse often speaks towards the sloppy mechanics in the mens game.
Something like...they can get away with it because of other strengths.

Myself, not a pitching instructor, however seeing is believing that an individuals success is something they have found a way to conquer
what needs to hapen with the pitch...the requirement of the task at hand. brush or not.
Learning how to pitch is one thing,
Making it work for the individual is another.
Every 'body' is different!

While people speak to the brush que, others have learned by the elbow que.
They are both learning que's!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi