Dilemma with coach teaching HE (OP update)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2020
DD just joined our town's 12u travel "B" team. She decided she wants to give pitching a try, so through this forum I discovered IR, and am thoroughly convinced it is the best approach to release and follow through. I've been working with her on it in our basement and I think we've made some headway. The problem is that the assistant coach (dad of the head coach) is telling her to "answer the phone" which is just a variant of HE. After telling her she was doing it wrong a couple of times today, she meekly told him that it's how her dad told her to do it. He said that's only for curves, and afterwards she started doing it his way. I and my two daughters are new to this organization and fairly new to softball, so I'm not sure how to handle this without sounding like a know-it-all or malcontent. I also don't want to put DD in a situation that's unfair to her. Should she just work on her catching during the pitchers and catchers session and just work on pitching with me?

(I think I've seen a thread discussing this but I couldn't find it in the search.)

Update: So I phoned the coach before practice and told her the situation and that DD was getting virtual lessons. She said that was fine and asked who she's getting lessons from. I told her Fastpitch Power. Later at practice her dad started going at it again at which point she dressed him down. He's a good guy but not a terrific listener, I think. At any rate, the rest of the pitchers/catchers session went really well and DD felt great about it. The coach even checked out some videos so she could better understand what DD is trying to do. I'm not claiming a convert, but I'm impressed with her willingness.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
It happens. My suggestion is to tell the coach that you are working with a pitching coach already and you want to give it a try for awhile longer. If he asks for a name, just tell him it's an online program. The problem is getting circle time, depending on how good the pitching is. I always asked for at least an inning when we first started. If this all works, then you really do need to find a good IR instructor. And if catching gets her significant playing time, then catching it is.

Jul 31, 2015
cvsoftball offered great advice.

The last thing you want is two different teachers teaching her two different styles.

You may have to have a talk with the coach to explain what you're teaching her and how that differs from what he is asking for. Seems like there should be some middle ground to be found.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Feb 25, 2020
I think at that stage for a young new pitcher, practice at home might be best.

Once she starts throwing underhand well(IR) and gains some confidence I mean.

There's a lot of pressure for a new pitcher there in front of teammates and a different coach trying to do something they feel not totally comfortable doing.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The last thing you want is two different teachers teaching her two different styles.

You may have to have a talk with the coach to explain what you're teaching her and how that differs from what he is asking for. Seems like there should be some middle ground to be found.

HE isn't a style...it is wrong. No advanced pitcher at any age level throws that way. It is a dead end.

There is no middle ground...there is the right way to pitch and there is the wrong way. IR, FSR, Brush Interference, Leg drive. Do those 4 things, throw 100,000 pitches, and sprinkle in some athletic talent, and your DD will be a star.

The AC doesn't know what he is doing. Dad has to tell the coach not to bother her.

@Veryzer: Tell you what. Show the AC this video of Rachel Garcia and ask him how many times she "answers the phone". I'll give you $20.00 if you video his comments.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2015
HE isn't a style...it is wrong. No advanced pitcher at any age level throws that way. It is a dead end.

There is no middle ground...there is the right way to pitch and there is the wrong way. IR, FSR, Brush Interference, Leg drive. Do those 4 things, throw 100,000 pitches, and sprinkle in some athletic talent, and your DD will be a star.

The AC doesn't know what he is doing. Dad has to tell the coach not to bother her.

@Veryzer: Tell you what. Show the AC this video of Rachel Garcia and ask him how many times she "answers the phone". I'll give you $20.00 if you video his comments.

One other thought - HE *is* a way to pitch. And many pitchers use it. It may be 100% incorrect and it may not scale but it is a means of pitching.

JMHO but the best way to open someone’s mind (and hopefully change it) is to listen carefully to them, find common ground and then share your opposing view. Throwing a bunch of facts and knowledge at someone who thinks differently from you (even if you are right and they are terribly wrong) will typically cause them to dig in, hardening their opposition.

There is always common ground to be had. Better to find it and move forward than to start on oppositional footing. This is especially true if you are the new kid on the block, as the OP and their DD is.

Mar 10, 2020
If the coach doesnt like or believe in what your doing there is a massive chance they wont support you. And a greater chance they will do whatever they can to prove they are right and you are wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi