Dilemma with coach teaching HE (OP update)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Get his email address and start sending him videos, seeing is believing, there is a lot out there to look at that will educate him.

On second thought send him here!

May 17, 2012
One other thought - HE *is* a way to pitch. And many pitchers use it. It may be 100% incorrect and it may not scale but it is a means of pitching.

It's not a way to pitch.

Sure you could hit by holding the bat upside down but why would you? Take a high level hitter and tell them they have to hit all season while holding the bat upside down. Surely they would get some fluke hits over the course of the season... they could probably figure out a way to get some bunts down. Take a great player that has good physical attributes and a good mental approach and they might figure out an effective way to get on base while holding the bat upside down.

Now you come along and say well there are now two ways to hold the bat while hitting.

No sane person would argue that HE is an effective way to pitch. It's not a different style. It's just wrong.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just adding to the topic~
to show visual on HE topic
Screenshot_2021-02-01-07-22-58.png

Add these interesting perspectives...

Not a pitching instructor.
Simply know not everyone learns the same way.
And pitchers deffinetly find success in more than one way.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
We went thru a similar thing with hitting on a previous team. We have been lucky with pitching. I had a gentle conversation with the HC off to the side and explained that DD is learning something different and would appreciate it if this was respected and instruction not be given by a specific AC who was advocating for the murder of bugs aka "squish the bug". Went fine for us. Never had a problem again.

My opinion is that you are your DD's advocate. If you don't speak up for her, then she will not progress as fast as possible by receiving one consistent message. The HC should respect your request and let his AC know. If he doesn't, then it is your job to fix the situation however you and your DD feel is best. HC has a whole team to lookout for and you have a DD to protect.

I say all of this after almost 4 years in TB. I get where you are and have been there worried to upset the apple cart. I would go back and do many things different if I could. Don't regret something in a couple years when it comes to your DD and HER journey. Communication is the key. If the HC can't handle that, then I would find another team where the HC doesn't let their ego get in the way of coaching.

Jul 14, 2018
The problem is that the assistant coach (dad of the head coach) is telling her to "answer the phone" which is just a variant of HE.

This dynamic is going to be a no-win for you. HC is not going to tell his/her dad: “thanks for trying, but you don’t know what you’re talking about.”

DD had a similar situation (all of the coaches had complete faith in a local HE instructor). She caught for the team, worked on pitching on her own, and left the following summer for a team that expected pitchers to work on their development outside of team practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2015
It's not a way to pitch.

Sure you could hit by holding the bat upside down but why would you? Take a high level hitter and tell them they have to hit all season while holding the bat upside down. Surely they would get some fluke hits over the course of the season... they could probably figure out a way to get some bunts down. Take a great player that has good physical attributes and a good mental approach and they might figure out an effective way to get on base while holding the bat upside down.

Now you come along and say well there are now two ways to hold the bat while hitting.

No sane person would argue that HE is an effective way to pitch. It's not a different style. It's just wrong.

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion.
<sarcasm font>

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
No advanced pitcher at any age. 🤔

Ally Carda uses HE.
Thanks for bringing up Carda. She is a great pitcher, but she throws IR, not HE.

The characteristics of IR is the hand pulling the ball around the circle rather. (An HE pitcher pushes the ball around the circle.) At release, the forearm internally rotates to bring the palm square to the plate. The rotation of the forearm carries over into the follow through, causing the hand to flip over.

The most common follow through with an IR pitcher is with the palm down and extended toward the plate (the "sorcerer" follow through). Still other pitchers (like Amanda Scarborough) do a "faky" follow through...after the pitch, the palm is down, but then they pull the arm into the "L" position. Other IR pitchers bring the hand across the body with the palm down.

So, look for (1) is the hand behind the ball at 12 and (2) has the hand flipped over on the follow through. Attached is a picture of Carda at 12. She has her hand is behind the ball. (Technically, it is impossible for her *not* to throw with IR if her hand is behind the ball at 12.)

When Carda throws fastballs, she will sometimes end up palm down. Other times she does an "across the body, palm down" follow through on some pitches. And, sometimes she throws a fastball where the arm ends up in the "L" position, but the palm has rotated toward the catcher.

In the video, she throws 2 fastballs, all with the characteristic palm down follow through. She then throws a fastball with an across the body palm down She then throws a couple of riseballs with the L, and then a really sweet "low" rise.

Carda throws a riseball and change with her arm ending in the L position. The "L" position on the rise is a little unusual these days, it was quite common a few years ago.

Go to 1:15 of this video.

In the video, go to 0:39.

Attachments

• carda1.JPG
    carda1.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball