Different-toss from behind...drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
I was watching the HS state tournament and the team who eventually won was doing a drill where the coach was sitting on a bucket behind the hitter in the spot of the catcher (who was in their normal stance facing the field at home plate, and the coach soft tossed a ball from behind the hitter through the zone toward the mound (in the opposite path from a pitch coming from the mound). The girls were looking straight at the plate and followed the ball through and hit it. It was pretty cool to watch but I was curious as to what the drill is supposed to accomplish.

Anyone seen/heard of this drill and what the objective would be?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
They do it on the Mega Drills dvd from Tschida. It is under the section to help get extention. Did it with dd a few times and she had a tough time taking it serious, could hit the ball but giggled every hit. I think the weird part was looking backwards and following the ball to the front. I don't think we will be doing it often.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't see the purpose, it looks cool so people start to copy it. I think it's just a gimmick, maybe someone here can explain the rational for it.

Oct 25, 2009
When I was using my Wheeler Dealer we used to toss the balls from behind the batter to give them the feeling of staying back. We didn't use it much; there are better ways.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I've done it with my DD a few times. It helps her see how much faster her bat speed could be by swinging hard enough to catch up to the ball. Just like any other drill, it's best to follow up with front toss to see actual results and to use it with a regular swing.

I don't know if it really helps but it does SEEM to help.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The hitting instructor I was taking my DD to during the Summer used this drill a few times to help with her extension (that was the explanation, anyway). My DD did fine with it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I was watching the HS state tournament and the team who eventually won was doing a drill where the coach was sitting on a bucket behind the hitter in the spot of the catcher (who was in their normal stance facing the field at home plate, and the coach soft tossed a ball from behind the hitter through the zone toward the mound (in the opposite path from a pitch coming from the mound). The girls were looking straight at the plate and followed the ball through and hit it. It was pretty cool to watch but I was curious as to what the drill is supposed to accomplish.

Anyone seen/heard of this drill and what the objective would be?

We do this drill regularly in the batting cages and it is designed to increase bat speed and eye/hand coordination. The batter has to see the ball, start her swing, and adjust the bat to the ball location in a very short period of time.....much shorter than during front toss. Girls who drop their hands will struggle during this drill because of the extra movement/time required to get the bat through the zone. You can also weed out some "cage hitting phenoms" with this drill if you are doing indoor tryouts!

Jun 24, 2013
DD has good hand/ eye coordination, I am not sure what that means.

I do not like this drill even though she can do it and will be doing it the 1st part of next year.

It seems like something silly a Player can learn to do without actually accomplishing anything.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
all side/back soft toss should be outlawed. I used to think it had a role for warmups due to having limited space but even that is now out the window as TCB balls can be used with front toss in limited space. I have never seen any benefit to any hitter from any side/back soft toss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32