Did anyone see the Tenn vs Auburn game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2011
I don't think it was flagrant ... I think the runner thought the catcher was going behind the hitter and then the catcher comes in front of the batter up the line and oops there she is. the runner was running on the inside of the field and to me I don't see a shove I see the runner putting her hands up to protect herself. Now what if the runner was on her back would the catcher be thrown out? Is there a rule she has to slide? you say the runner should avoid well why doesn't the catcher avoid? If the catcher is going at the runner and in the base line well to me who is tough enough....The runner has as much right as does the catcher ... my opinion if the catcher didn't want to get hit then slap tag her... It's bad not matter what but hey the catcher has a decision to make too .... but would you all be saying the samething if the runner was on her back...

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Is there a rule she has to slide?

Yes.

Rule 12.14.2:

In order to prevent injury and protect the defensive player attempting to make a play on a base runner, the base runner must be called out if she remains on her feet and deliberately, with great force, crashes into a defensive player holding the ball and waiting to apply a tag. In order to prevent a deliberate crash ruling, the base runner can slide, jump over the top of the defender holding the ball, go around the defender (if outside the runner’s lane, the base runner would be called out) or return to the previous base touched.
EFFECT—The ball is dead. The base runner is called out for deliberately crashing into a fielder, even if the ball is dislodged. If the base runner deliberately crashed into a fielder holding the ball before she was put out and, in the umpire’s judgment, it was an attempt to break up an obvious double play, the offender and player being played on shall both be declared out. If the deliberate crash occurs after the base runner was called out, the base runner closest to home plate will also be declared out. If an obstructed base runner deliberately crashes into a fielder holding the ball, the obstruction call will be ignored, and the base runner will be called out.
Note: If the act is determined to be flagrant, the offender will be ejected.​

you say the runner should avoid well why doesn't the catcher avoid?

When the defensive player has the ball, the runner has to avoid the defensive player. If the defensive player doesn't have the ball, the defensive player has to avoid the runner. Rules 12.14.1 and 12.14.2.

This just isn't hard to figure out.

It was up to the umpire to determine if it was flagrant. The umpire said it was, and there seems to be more than enough to support his decision.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2010
Lets slow it down a tad.

[video=youtube_share;sfODeWZzpAE]http://youtu.be/sfODeWZzpAE[/video]
I think that it could just as easily gone the other way. If she hadn't put her(runner) arms up, the catcher would have put her down with the tag to the chest.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
After this being slowed down, I am not so sure anymore. It seems she tried to slow down with her shuffle steps, but the last step she almost seems to lift into the catcher. I think it is what happened in that small space that tells the truth. I might be wrong! The umpire called it and could see it better than me. And I think he could have interpreted it that way. Also, in slow motion, the catcher appears only about 3-4 feet up the line from a normal blocking position. I thought she was at least 6 feet. Thank goodness for slow motion. Again, I think that lift during the last step, perhaps to impact her may have made the call.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think that it could just as easily gone the other way. If she hadn't put her(runner) arms up, the catcher would have put her down with the tag to the chest.

I know we all have our views, but at 38 once the catcher popped around the corner I could have ( especially with cleats ) stopped on a dime. Think how quickly our girls can run....stop....and turn doing pickle drills.

After watching her reactions in the dugout, she seems like a "B" to me. No concern in her eyes or body language. She knew she was dead out when the catcher moved up, she chose to mow her over.

You can tell by the landing place of the runner she never attempted to slow down, the place of impact is before the RH batters box. The final resting place after the collision of the runner is the far side of the LH batters box. That's a long way to hit a moving object ( the catcher ) push her weight backwards and the runner's momentum carry her to the far side of the batters box. She never took her foot off the gas.

Just my 2 cents.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Took me three days but finally watched all of this game. I thought the whole game was sloppy. Why didn't Tenn. (have I mentioned I hate Tenn., Go Dawgs!) replace Renfroe after hit batter #3? Catch hitting the batter was kinda comical(not that anyone getting hit is good)
As far as the play at home is concerned, my $.02, According to the rules it was flagrant, according to the rules. Was it intentional? I didn't think so. Not to sound negative, but the batter isn't a small athlete. From the view in my living room it looks like the batter hides catch from the runner's sight. If I thought a squeeze was on and took off home, full throttle, and suddenly catch appears in my vision several feet from home I think I would have done the same. What was she supposed to..........slide. Then we would be talking about acls, mcls, nfls, and who knows what else,which Coach Dees mentioned. It's not like the girl lowered her shoulder and launched into her.
It was an unfortunate incident.
The only thing in that game that wasn't sloppy was Shipman's blast and fielding(wish dd threw like that). She is a BEAST! Oh by the way, did I mention I strongly dislike Tenn.?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Untitled.jpg

Catcher is already coming up with runner maybe a quarter of the way to the plate.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck