Did anyone see the Tenn vs Auburn game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2012
you know my father tells an interesting story about a botched suicide squeeze play with similar consequences when he was playing against Brockton Ma in a big CYO championship game back in the day.

he is at bat and his best friend breaks for home at a dead sprint - he didn't miss the call for the squeeze from his coach - he just flat out completely misses the pitch trying to bunt it.

the difference in this story is that the Brockton catcher that day was Rocky Marciano and - well - you can imagine how the collision went.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
After the runner enters the dug out, no speaks to her. No one acknowledges her. They keep their backs turned to her. Not one person says "Are you alright?" I suspect her own teammates did not approve of the collision.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
They interviewed the coach during the game and she said that the batter missed the squeeze sign, if the runner had slid that late she would have taken out the catcher's knees. Still, you have to throw her out of the game. How about the play several innings later where the lefty batter swings at strike three, loses her balance, leans out over the plate a little and gets drilled in the back of the head by the catcher's throw to get a runner attempting to steal second.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In college we are taught ( BB ) if that should happen, first get your A$$ in the dugout. Get off the field and keep your mouth shut. Trying to avoid the benches clearing.

Next, no one is to talk to the runner. Do not pat him on the back, do not cuss him, do not even acknowledge he has entered the dugout.

Trainers and coaches also will let a few seconds pass until moving toward the runner in the dugout.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The next time you are in a car accident, and that hard windshield is in front of you (helmet, etc) keep your arms at your side. The catcher closed the distance faster by moving up the line. I still say her footwork showed she was trying to set up for a collision, not make a collision, Otherwise her footsteps wouldn't have changed. Maybe I played too much men's ball; 5 broken ribs and 8 other broken bones. And no I am not tough. I break easily! I just had some more in an auto accident the first of March. And I raised my hand toward my car door to stop the car that hit me :)

If she had the time and wherewithall to get her arms in front of her (don't know anyone who runs with them already across their chest), she had time to check up more than she did.

Really don't give a damn whether anything thinks it was flagrant or not, it shouldn't have happened and the ejection was appropriate.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I disagree:
The batter supposedly missed the suicide call. That's the reason the runner came in blazing. If the runner would have plowed into the catcher covering the plate then 'yes' the runner would be wrong. BUT the catcher for some reason tears on up the line in a definite square collision path with the runner. If the two are running full gate towards each other in the base path how is it the fault of the runner that she just happens to have more mass and the catcher takes the worst of it?

If the catcher was smart she would have taken a path at the runner that would have allowed her at worst a glancing tag.

I think y'all are just hat in on the bigger girl.....

About time reinforcements showed up :)

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
If she had the time and wherewithall to get her arms in front of her (don't know anyone who runs with them already across their chest), she had time to check up more than she did.

Really don't give a damn whether anything thinks it was flagrant or not, it shouldn't have happened and the ejection was appropriate.

And how far from the plate should she have slid? And if the catcher wasn't running up the line, how much more could she have braked? Once the pitch is missed, did she have a 5th gear? My initial reaction if it had been my catcher I would have been peeved. But with video, I will bet she isn't suspended.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
And how far from the plate should she have slid? And if the catcher wasn't running up the line, how much more could she have braked? Once the pitch is missed, did she have a 5th gear? My initial reaction if it had been my catcher would be peeved. But with video, I will bet she isn't suspended.

You've got a point there, the play was not at the plate, it was up the line, with the catcher charging up the line. When two people are running toward each other on the same line there is going to be a collision unless one or both take an evasive action. It should be on both players to avoid a collision, not just the bigger one.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
And how far from the plate should she have slid? And if the catcher wasn't running up the line, how much more could she have braked? Once the pitch is missed, did she have a 5th gear? My initial reaction if it had been my catcher I would have been peeved. But with video, I will bet she isn't suspended.

Please cite any portion of my post where I mentioned sliding. You want to argue my point, make it my point, not what you perceive to be on point.

The catcher did not run up the line. The catcher had to clear the batter, two steps, stopped and her feet were square to the approaching runner at the left front corner of the RH BB. I don't know about you, but I think the catcher moved exactly as she would be coached to protect the plate. And not having proceeded past the BB, I wouldn't say she was running "up the line". If she were running up the line, she would not have ended up on her rear on the other side of the plate.

Don't know how these women are coached, but in all my years of baseball, fastpitch and slowpitch softball, when I realized moving forward wasn't a good thing I did everything to stop and reverse. The runner was not even half way to the plate when the pitch hit the catcher's glove. NOT HALF WAY! She took another five steps prior to the collision. These players have no problem flying from home to 1B at top speed and go from 4th to 1st gear in two steps after hitting the base.

IMO, this runner knew exactly what she was doing. You call it hard play, I call it stupid.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd