Did anyone see the Tenn vs Auburn game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2012
Collision at home plate on girl stealing third. Runner ejected and catcher hurt! Looked like a weak hit and catcher played it up. Rule says ejection for flagrant hit but I didn't think it was flagrant!!

Jun 22, 2008
No attempt to avoid and runner put left forearm into catchers neck/head. Nothing was played up by the catcher, she got mowed down. Good call.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Since the catcher moved up the line, which she should have done, and the runner stutter stepped before contact, what does that tell you?

I don't think it was flagrant. Unfortunate yes, but not flagrant. The runner's footwork tells everything.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This brought back a memory and an ugly one.

We were playing Baylor University ( baseball ), their catcher mouthed off to most every batter, and had locked up home plate a couple of times. My SS was a big dude 6'6 and every bit of 250lbs, and he was a real nut job.

I'll never forget this. I was on deck, our SS on 3rd base, he looked over at me and moved his lips saying "watch this". Grounder to 2nd, and a throw to the plate, catcher blocked up home and big dude hit him into next week. I mean lifted the catcher 3-4 feet in the air and back a good 15 feet. Broke the catchers collar bone and forearm.

I thought he killed the guy. SS ejected, and first thing I'm thinking is "I'm fixing to catch this first pitch in my ear hole".

Jun 22, 2008
Stutter step? I dont see any stutter step, I see the runner plant her feet to go up and into the catcher with the forearm. I see no attempt to slow down or avoid the contact at all.

Jan 24, 2011
That was just about as flagrant as it gets. She was going to be out by 10 feet but still raised the forearm and plowed the catcher. Easiest call in the world

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
That was just about as flagrant as it gets. She was going to be out by 10 feet but still raised the forearm and plowed the catcher. Easiest call in the world

+1

They could use the video to demonstrate how to get that call correct. Base runner got it all wrong.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Fortunately, the catcher was OK. I vote for flagrant. What the heck was the runner doing, anyway? And I don't like the way she walked away, acting tough or something.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
The next time you are in a car accident, and that hard windshield is in front of you (helmet, etc) keep your arms at your side. The catcher closed the distance faster by moving up the line. I still say her footwork showed she was trying to set up for a collision, not make a collision, Otherwise her footsteps wouldn't have changed. Maybe I played too much men's ball; 5 broken ribs and 8 other broken bones. And no I am not tough. I break easily! I just had some more in an auto accident the first of March. And I raised my hand toward my car door to stop the car that hit me :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw