Did anyone see the Tenn vs Auburn game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
Blue made the right call. I'm not sure how one can say the catcher played it up. She took a forearm shiver from the base-runner.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Yes she should have tried the slide to avoid the tag. Ejected from the game should be the start and a possible game or two suspension.

Mar 13, 2010
Collision at home plate on girl stealing third. Runner ejected and catcher hurt! Looked like a weak hit and catcher played it up. Rule says ejection for flagrant hit but I didn't think it was flagrant!!

NCAA 12.9.14 and 12.14.
By definition it was as flagrant as the day is long.
Easy call (and correct call)l for/by the PU,

Dec 7, 2011
I disagree:
The batter supposedly missed the suicide call. That's the reason the runner came in blazing. If the runner would have plowed into the catcher covering the plate then 'yes' the runner would be wrong. BUT the catcher for some reason tears on up the line in a definite square collision path with the runner. If the two are running full gate towards each other in the base path how is it the fault of the runner that she just happens to have more mass and the catcher takes the worst of it?

If the catcher was smart she would have taken a path at the runner that would have allowed her at worst a glancing tag.

I think y'all are just hat in on the bigger girl.....

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I disagree:
The batter supposedly missed the suicide call. That's the reason the runner came in blazing. If the runner would have plowed into the catcher covering the plate then 'yes' the runner would be wrong. BUT the catcher for some reason tears on up the line in a definite square collision path with the runner. If the two are running full gate towards each other in the base path how is it the fault of the runner that she just happens to have more mass and the catcher takes the worst of it?

If the catcher was smart she would have taken a path at the runner that would have allowed her at worst a glancing tag.

I think y'all are just hat in on the bigger girl.....

Gotta disagree, it was a called play. The batter knew it was coming because the coach would have called it. ( or at least should have at this level ) She stayed in the line of vision to the baseline until the catcher moved her. Catcher had possession of the ball, runner should have slid. No attempt to slide at all, she was close enough to show a motion of getting down. The catcher moved up like she should, the runner stunned chose to jump up ( and forward ) plowing the catcher. If you are avoiding a tag, most will jump backwards or not at all.

I've seen and done this in baseball many times, your dead out, but trying to make a statement or knock the ball loose. Youre already gonna be out, so you take the chance of "selling" the play as an accident and maybe getting the ball loose and a run.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Would love to find out what happend there. Was it a suicide squeeze and the batter missed the sign? Surely the runner was not just trying to steal home while the catcher is standing there with the ball!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I disagree:

Even if the batter missed the call that doesn't excuse the base runners actions. She had to see there was no swing or that the play wasn't going the way it was supposed to. She has to know she is now heading home and there is a high chance the catcher has the ball and she is going to have to avoid a tag. This is on the base runner. Even if unintentionally done the base runner has to be more aware - 'We screwed up the play' is not part of the rules and doesn't make the collision OK.

The catcher is well within her rights to take the path she took with a runner on third. Coming out from behind the plate and towards the runner. This is clearly on the base runner.

I'll be stunned if she isn't suspended a couple of games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67