DI Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Have seen a couple of DI programs in my Twitter feed advertising at their school for players to tryout. Those in the know - what would spur this?

Jun 8, 2016
what would spur this?
Not enough players..??

Rta3Ix2.gif

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t think so - looking at the rosters they look typical in number. Just odd to me.
It is possible that those rosters are not up to date....or they just need more people to get the starters food in between doubleheaders..

Dec 11, 2010
It’s actually required that they have a tryout. At least at the two D1’s my DD’s attended.

What I don’t know is who it is required by.

What happens is the coaches schedule a time, no one shows up.

At least I’ve never heard of anyone showing up.

I’ve heard people speculate that they they are looking for pinch runners. They aren’t. They are already pulling their hair out from the base running skills the tb players have when they get there.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Have seen a couple of DI programs in my Twitter feed advertising at their school for players to tryout. Those in the know - what would spur this?

Many schools require a tryout be posted even if there is no way they are looking for players.

Sometimes it is worth it have the contacts of who can play in an emergency. There is no guest play in college - whoever is on campus and cleared by the NCAA is all you got.

May 16, 2019
Back when my daughter played (Oklahoma State) they had an open tryout for students. She'd tell me about girls coming out that never played or with very little experience decided they wanted to play college softball. She was more concerned about them getting hurt. I guess the school has to offer a tryout.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying