DI Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That’s news to me!
I've never seen something like this before, so perhaps it's rare.

I have been toying with the idea of borrowing our fastest girls track athlete for pinch runner purposes. I only haven't done it because I'm not sure she'd be able to pick up the base running as quickly as I'd need her to for it to be worthwhile.

1661610295210.png

Jun 8, 2016
I've never seen something like this before, so perhaps it's rare.

I have been toying with the idea of borrowing our fastest girls track athlete for pinch runner purposes. I only haven't done it because I'm not sure she'd be able to pick up the base running as quickly as I'd need her to for it to be worthwhile.

View attachment 26337
They might be able to pick up the mechanics of running bases but as you know being a good (or even adequate) baserunner requires more than that. In particular reading balls would probably be a huge problem..heck there are MLB’ers who cannot do it..

I am having a hard time believing a top 20 D1 program is seriously considering this..

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
They might be able to pick up the mechanics of running bases but as you know being a good (or even adequate) baserunner requires more than that. In particular reading balls would probably be a huge problem..heck there are MLB’ers who cannot do it..

I am having a hard time believing a top 20 D1 program is seriously considering this..

I'm guessing they're looking to see if there's a former player who is fast/can run the bases but otherwise isn't a D1 level player. I don't think that's impossible in a school with 23,000 students.

I agree that being a good base runner requires more. A lot of it requires a head for the game and experience.

Dec 11, 2010
I don’t know- I think you would really have to have a specific situation that causes you to do this especially like you said on a top 20 team. Roster size, rules of substitution and the cost of travel would sure work against you. Then you have the problem of the amount of time commitment and the fact that a tryout player would already have classes scheduled. Who wants to go to running/lifting at 5:30, practice @3, meeting this, testing that, Covid/drug screening, be at the bus by 5 to fly to wherever, hotel room after hotel room….

D1 base running varies a lot. Knowing the situations seems like a pretty big obstacle. And when I say knowing the situation, im not talking about simple guidelines most of us can regurgitate. I’m talking about the complex flow chart both of my kids had in their heads that was way beyond anything they knew before they got to school.

Its pretty wild how in early spring when p5 plays p5 schools, you can pretty much grade base running by conference. When you play certain conferences, you see players locked onto bases, missing chances to advance. One conference in particular is really glaring. And yet people say nice things about their coaches, lol.

Nov 18, 2013
DD’s school (Iowa State) had walk on tryouts her freshman year. They took a pinch runner and a couple of pitchers. New coach the following year and they stopped having the try outs.

She played travel ball with a girl who attended walk on tryouts at Alabama. Not sure if they still hold them or not.

Jun 11, 2012
I know someone who walked on at LSU years ago. Supposedly was going to be a bullpen catcher but never left the dugout and quit after one season.

Jul 14, 2018
I know someone who walked on at LSU years ago. Supposedly was going to be a bullpen catcher but never left the dugout and quit after one season.

I’m guessing a school like Clemson is looking for the equivalent of a bullpen catcher: someone to run the bases during fielding drills and practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee