Defensive measuring stick

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2020
There was a thread that referred to college coaches changing hitting styles of players they recruited with mostly bad results. The thread seemed to send the message that there are multiple ways to hit well and that actual performance is the measuring stick. This got me to thinking, does this happen with defensive technique also?

I am a HS coach and I’ve spent dozens of hours studying defenders and how they position themselves, react, field, their footwork, and throwing motion. There appears to be a pretty consistent technique once players get to college. However, in HS and TB (with exceptions) defensive technique appears to be an afterthought as long as the defender makes most of the plays. Worse yet the players unknowingly believe that if they made a play, that they must have done it correctly.

When I attend local tournaments (Non-showcase U10-U18) among other things I see players who:

Are unprepared to field a ball hit their way

Don’t get to balls they should

Cannot back hand a ground ball

Don’t turn sideways to throw routine outs

Take 4-6 steps toward where they throw it

Outfielders who have a hard time fielding ground balls

This is all technique which can be taught, yet it appears that it is largely ignored in favor of offense.

At U10-U18 is actual performance the defensive measuring stick or is there none?
You also have the girls that just don’t try to field any balls that come their way cause they’re annoyed and that’s the best way they can think of to protest. My DD’s team was at a tournament and in one of the games it seemed like everyone in the infield gave up. There was a pop fly hit that should’ve been an easy catch for the first or second basemen but neither moved a muscle. Seeing this my DD (17y/o ss) ran all the way from shortstop to first base to try and catch the pop fly. She didn’t make it (she got very close though and managed to make me very proud of her) and the girl who hit the pop fly who should’ve been the second out got a single. That girl ended up scoring the winning run.

Jun 8, 2016
Drills should be scripted to the strengths and weaknesses of a player.
Did I say otherwise? You on the otherhand seemed to imply they were useless as a general rule.
Of course at all ages there are certain things all good fielders do and there is some value in drilling those things along with more player specific drills.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Drills should be scripted to the strengths and weaknesses of a player. Lining up 10 and going through the youtube motions isn't going to do anything remarkable.

4 middle infielders will typically have conflicting skill sets and physical abilities. One size won't fit all
Now drills are okay?

May 23, 2015
Did I say otherwise? You on the otherhand seemed to imply they were useless as a general rule.
Of course at all ages there are certain things all good fielders do and there is some value in drilling those things along with more player specific drills.
I dont imply. I'm saying emphatically that drills do not help a player learn defense. You somehow turned that in to drills dont help a players mechanics. Not sure where that came from

Jun 8, 2016
I dont imply. I'm saying emphatically that drills do not help a player learn defense. You somehow turned that in to drills dont help a players mechanics. Not sure where that came from
I thought we were talking about individual players and how to measure their defensive capabilities...not when the SS should cover second on a steal...

May 23, 2015
I
I thought we were talking about individual players and how to measure their defensive capabilities...not when the SS should cover second on a steal...
I was responding to the post above mine regarding working on defense at practice. I have no idea wgat you saw

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00