Defensive measuring stick

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Ahem........So going back to my original post. -

The general consensus on the other thread was, on offense the outcome or performance is what matters, not the technique.

So on defense does the technique matter if you record the out(s)?

Dec 15, 2018
CT

The general consensus on the other thread was, on offense the outcome or performance is what matters, not the technique.

Your original question was that if players make most of the plays, does technique matter – followed by that what you actually see is bad technique leading to players not making plays.

Maybe you’re asking is “most of the plays” ok? Or at what point is “most of the plays” not acceptable. Because clearly one might be able to make some, or even a lot of the plays with bad technique, but you need good technique to make all the plays.

Obviously if a player makes ALL the plays with bad technique, who cares. But I think we probably all agree it doesn't work that way. Bad technique leads to missed opportunities.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

I like your question!!
Because there are some coaches who want freakin EVERYTHING done how they prefer.
REGARDLESS OF SUCCESS!

Start Staggered feet or even feet.
Make the cave with glove or flat glove alligator style.
Use back hand for that or move feet to get that.
List continues..

Always say LOOK FOR SUCCESS first!
Not change what is successful.
Athletes/players bring to mechanics their individual abilities.
While mechanics can/do have attributes to each style,
So as well does the player.

Will set expectations to performance by the position on the field and hitting.
That is the gauge.
When the expectation is not being met, is a sign of need to grow to achieve expectation.

Jun 8, 2016
Will set expectations to performance by the position on the field and hitting.
That is the gauge.
When the expectation is not being met, is a sign of need to grow to achieve expectation.
One thing I will say is at the younger ages coaches need to be teaching for the next level up. At 12U not backhanding a ball at SS and being off balance when throwing because of it might work, at 14U that runner is more than likely safe...etc,etc....DD's coach used to get on her for backhanding balls in 10U (Get in front of it!!) when the proper play was backhanding it but she was still working to develop the backhand so she would miss it sometimes. Now that she makes that play at 12U he doesn't say anything.... ;)

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I agree that this can be age specific. Do you find it more difficult to teach younger or older ? Or is the real question is it more difficult to teach technique to less experienced?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I agree that this can be age specific. Do you find it more difficult to teach younger or older ? Or is the real question is it more difficult to teach technique to less experienced?
if needing to change/adapt/rework
Older can have stronger muscle memory to overcome.
Tho can also be more conscientious to be able to make changes more quickly. But not all.

Younger can have quirky body learning in the first place.
Tend to have to figure out how to use muscles.
Then those growth spurts...

All in all, do not think age is a factor more than individual body awareness and players ability to apply communications visual, listening & applying drills.

Dedication may be most important!

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
You guys have it right. Start off deep and creep in until pitchers release then ready position.
There is the “Auburn Hop” also but I really don’t care for it.
You should be able to look anywhere on the field and see the girls creeping in every pitch. It tells me the girls are engaged and looking to make a play.
Honestly, I don’t see it very often. It usually tips me off to what teams are well coached and which ones are very average.

I agree, the higher you jump the more flexion required in the knees, the more force directed into the ground. I teach "happy feet", light on the feet, small steps to small hop to the balls of feet as the ball arrives at the plate.

Jun 8, 2016
You should be able to look anywhere on the field and see the girls creeping in every pitch.
and when you see a REALLY well coached team it will almost be in unison. Was watching ASA Gold Nationals livestream and the camera view allowed you to see every player on the field...impressive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles