Defensive measuring stick

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I played MI in college and didn't do a "fielding drill" till I got there and even that was limited. However what I did do was take A LOT of GB growing and also watched a lot of games and tried to emulate. There was no internet and my main "instructor" was my father who didn't do drills growing up, he played sandlot ball all day. So he didn't do any drills with me. Times have changed, there is a lot of good information out there now which can be very useful if you know what to look for (which can be an issue for some parents..I understand that). I found that I knew what a good fielder looked like but didn't necessarily know how to to explain it well other than to show my kid "this is how you do it" which isn't necessarily the best way to teach somebody. So I went looking for information and it has been very helpful in developing my DD imo.

"The more you know, the more you know that you don't know!" ~ Aristotle

I guess it all starts by accepting a need.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Nice resume'. I was checking out your profile. Blu Girls coach?

The Philippines will be a FP powerhouse in the next decade. I spend a lot of time there for business.

You post along with several others here is spot on. Defense and skills are lacking. We're regressing. Hopefully we pull it together

Yes, they call me "coach" but I only controlled the practices and skills training. No on the field game coaches are allowed to be foreigners. They even frown on it with TB. I had a Philippines coach recently say, "Steve is a very knowledgeable coach, but he doesn't know any shortcuts for teaching skills." I asked him when was the last time he explained a technic to a player, and saw her go out and execute it in a game, game after game, play after play? He couldn't answer it. I told him there is not shortcut to muscle-memory.

Rachael Garcia; Delaney Spaulding; Alyssa Palomino - Arizona; Dani Gilmore - Oregon; Geri Blando - UNLV; Chelsea Suitos - Arizona are all Filipinas. Of course Garcia, Spaulding, and Palomino did not play for us. The others were some of the 10 Phil-Ams we had on the team. The goal was that I would get some Filipinas ready to start on the National team or make the roster. It turned out that I got 3 ready to start. Those 3 were among the top 5 offensive players on the team. Dani Gilmore had the best batting average, but one of our girls, Arianne, had the most RBI's and SLG% on the team. The other two girls were the same. My next goal is that over half of the girls are pure Filipina's and starters. Actually some of the Phil-Ams, all were from D1 schools, are 100% Filipina but they were born or moved to the US. After 2017 and the first qualifying tournaments, we were 4th in the world. By 2018 most of the Phil-Ams quit or there was turnover. By 2019 the team was about the 13th best, and Dani Gilmore - CF, and all but 3 quality D1 players were gone. Since 2017 I only coach Juniors and some individual private training on the National Team. To be honest the $millions$ spent, I wanted a reasonable amount spent on youth. There is virtually a begrudging pittance.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yes, they call me "coach" but I only controlled the practices and skills training. No on the field game coaches are allowed to be foreigners. They even frown on it with TB. I had a Philippines coach recently say, "Steve is a very knowledgeable coach, but he doesn't know any shortcuts for teaching skills." I asked him when was the last time he explained a technic to a player, and saw her go out and execute it in a game, game after game, play after play? He couldn't answer it. I told him there is not shortcut to muscle-memory.

Rachael Garcia; Delaney Spaulding; Dani Gilmore - Oregon; Geri Blando - UNLV; Chelsea Suitos - Arizona were some of the 10 Phil-Ams we had on the team. Of course Garcia and Spaulding did not play for us. The goal was that I would bet some Filipinas ready to start on the National team or make the roster. It turned out that I got 3 ready to start. Those 3 were among the top 5 offensive players on the team. Dani Gilmore was the best batting average, but one of our girls, Arianne had the most RBI's and SLG% on the team. The other two girls were the same. My next goal is that over half of the girls are pure Filipina's and starters. Actually some of the Phil-Ams, all were from D1 schools, are 100% Filipina but they were born or moved to the US. After 2017 and the first qualifying tournaments, we were 4th in the world. By 2018 most of the Phil-Ams quit or there was turnover. By 2019 the team was about the 13th best, and Dani Gilmore - CF, and all but 3 quality D1 players were gone. Since 2017 I only coach Juniors and some individual private training on the National Team.
My wife is Filipino but grew up on Hawaii. You like Filipino food...love it myself!! :)

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
My wife is Filipino but grew up on Hawaii. You like Filipino food...love it myself!! :)

Adobo and anything with pineapple.

I should have said, my wife is Filipina. I wasn't looking, but we met in a dark hallway and she kidnapped me. She is wonderful. She was introduced to Italian and Mexican food, and now our diet is homemade hamburgers, spaghetti, Greek salads, garlic toast, chili, tacos, burritos, and broccoli salad and her famous homemade spicy chicken/vegetable soup.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020
Adobo and anything with pineapple
Balut is aquired

Very cool! We probably have a lot of contacts in common. It's great to see you focus on form and technique. That's a lost art. Most players are relegated to finding their own way or lucking up. It's far easier to be a manager than a coach. Coaching takes a lot of hours. I'm just starting my first team as we speak. I was pressured by a few parents

Apr 28, 2019
Yep, Anna creeps, that's what I teach middle infielders, not 3B or 1B. With Anna being a pitcher and knowing pitch calls, of course she'll cheat with what pitch is called.....inside or outside, just hope the pitcher hits her called spot!
You guys have it right. Start off deep and creep in until pitchers release then ready position.
There is the “Auburn Hop” also but I really don’t care for it.
You should be able to look anywhere on the field and see the girls creeping in every pitch. It tells me the girls are engaged and looking to make a play.
Honestly, I don’t see it very often. It usually tips me off to what teams are well coached and which ones are very average.

Jun 26, 2020
I have never tried that and I don't think I will :LOL:
I have a redneck boy from Mississippi that I travel with to the Philippines. The girls over there love him. He always has half a dozen girlfriends. One suggested balut will help him with stamina so he loves it. I make too much money to eat a fetus

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802