Defense Strategy 2nd Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
And not a strategy to have contended with.

My .04 cents...
While second base can cover second on steels
1. it means they are coming from behind the runner and there can be a visual impairment seeing throw
2. as well as the runner getting in between the throw and the second baseman trying to receive throw. Runner's body blocks throw.
3. Another issue can be if the second baseman gets in the way of the runner approaching second base bag.
Like Crossing in front of the runner without the ball. More possibility of collision.

4.Prefer shortstop covering straight steals to second (no runner on 3rd)
Because they are coming into the play and can visually see both the throw and the runner coming at the same time/ same direction of play. Where the ball and Runner are going to be.
I agree with all these yet they have my poor kid try and cover 3rd from SS on a steal of third 3/4 the time (I usually close my eyes 😂)

Having a pitcher who can really field her position opens things up a lot in some of these situations..Unfortunately you don’t see that a lot.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I agree with all these yet they have my poor kid try and cover 3rd from SS on a steal of third 3/4 the time (I usually close my eyes 😂)

Having a pitcher who can really field her position opens things up a lot in some of these situations..Unfortunately you don’t see that a lot.
An athletic pitcher that can field bunts and take cutoff throws from left field is a huge asset for any team. Usually these type of pitchers can hit too.

Jul 9, 2023
And not a strategy to have contended with.

My .04 cents...
While second base can cover second on steels
1. it means they are coming from behind the runner and there can be a visual impairment seeing throw
2. as well as the runner getting in between the throw and the second baseman trying to receive throw. Runner's body blocks throw.
3. Another issue can be if the second baseman gets in the way of the runner approaching second base bag.
Like Crossing in front of the runner without the ball. More possibility of collision.

4.Prefer shortstop covering straight steals to second (no runner on 3rd)
Because they are coming into the play and can visually see both the throw and the runner coming at the same time/ same direction of play. Where the ball and Runner are going to be.
I see your points 💯! I’m trying to understand why baseball is so different. In my case, I play a shift, 2nd moves in front and over, RF fills gap. Then no collision visual issues occur.

Oct 26, 2019
I cover with the second baseman with slappers who are mostly oppo and when I expect the ball to be pulled so the SS is shifted over in the 5.5 hole. As others have mentioned, we keep the first baseman home on bunts in the situations.

In baseball with a right handed hitter up, the second baseman covered on offspeed, and the ss covered on fastballs (assuming a pitcher with solid velo). With a left-handed hitter up it was the opposite.

May 13, 2023

It's difficult when the middle infield comes from behind the runner. Such a quick play happening immediately.
From a catcher's standpoint can see how the runner can interfere with the throw reaching defensive glove.
Which brings up this,
Possibly one of the hardest decisions a catcher can make because sometimes catcher can see the runner has beat the middle infielder already. Greater possibility of ball hitting Runner flying wherever. That definitely takes executive thinking brain! Two things to consider before throwing. (Making a decision in an instant) sometimes hard to see the defense behind the runner if they have that one step ahead or not

Absolutely a pitcher who can play defense is awesome to have definitely plays important role.
... defense notices when they can't 😉

Aug 5, 2022
My two cents…until you get to higher level softball the ss is generally the most athletic person on the field and much more likely to be able to field and tag than the 2b. On my older daughters team at the National level we have various coverages depending on the runner the batter the pitch etc. On my youngest local team she’s actually the most athletic player on the team but she just doesn’t have enough arm yet for ss (young one playing up) and so she plays 2b and covers the steals. Has a much better catch and tag than the ss kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2022
I would guess it is for a couple of reasons.
The pitcher usually does not cover first in softball when the ball pulls the first baseman off the bag. The second baseman covers. The distance is about 71-73% in both softball and baseball for a pitcher to first. I think this is because a softball pitcher finishes knee to knee. A right handed with their back to the bag and the extra step and a half makes them late? Or at 10u the mound is closer but the bases are not. Where in baseball both are shorter. Or stuck around from mound being 40’. Covering with second could lead to an open base.
In baseball the runner has a lead so you have to move earlier so you want to give up non pull side.

Apr 14, 2022
It is situation dependent. That said people in softball bunt when they shouldn’t (along with getting thrown out at third with no or two outs) so good luck..
Agree. Runner on second one out scores 48% of the time runner on first 50% and you reduce you expected runs. Bunting for hit is ok, sacrificing makes no sense.
I would add making the first or second out at home. According to the 6-4-3 charts on d2 softball (I think you posted). A runner on 1st and 3rd with 0 or 1 out leads to more runs than 1 run in and a runner on first. Probably due to many teams will give the runner 2nd if a runner is on 3rd. Not saying you coach this way but need a 90+% success rate going home.
Giving outs and outs on bases are killer.

Imagine down by one Alo on deck watching the last out, missing out on at bat to tie because someone got thrown out trying to advance in the second inning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26