Defense Strategy 2nd Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2014
Experienced Travel ball Coach and a college player 18u team. First inning no score no outs. Lead off batter is on first and looks speedy. Coach yells to second base you have cover on steal. Girl on first takes off to steal 2nd team and coach yell GOING 2nd baseman runs to 2nd to cover. Batter bunts and no one is there to cover first so batter is safe. 2nd baseman gets told she needed to watch the batter better to look fo bunt. Is this normal? Can you tell me why the Shortstop just doesnt cover 2nd base for the steal?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Coach needs to work how he wants to cover for both. If he is telling second to cover second he needs to keep first base at first base and count on the pitcher to field the bunt.

SS can cover second. Pitcher has to cover Third.

But it’s a rare speedy second base who can wait long enough to know if she has to cover first for the bunt, or see if it’s a straight steal. Both things need to be decided prior to and accounted for in the defensive play.

Apr 28, 2019
Experienced Travel ball Coach and a college player 18u team. First inning no score no outs. Lead off batter is on first and looks speedy. Coach yells to second base you have cover on steal. Girl on first takes off to steal 2nd team and coach yell GOING 2nd baseman runs to 2nd to cover. Batter bunts and no one is there to cover first so batter is safe. 2nd baseman gets told she needed to watch the batter better to look fo bunt. Is this normal? Can you tell me why the Shortstop just doesnt cover 2nd base for the steal?
Keep it simple SS covers 2nd on steal.

May 29, 2019
That's one reason why you rarely see 2nd base cover the steal. I want my track star base runner in a foot race with the 2nd baseman :)

Aug 5, 2015
That's one reason why you rarely see 2nd base cover the steal. I want my track star base runner in a foot race with the 2nd baseman :)
I could beat Usain Bolt if I get a head start of half the distance, your logic doesn't make sense, are the 2nd baseman you face significantly slower than the SS?

May 29, 2019
I could beat Usain Bolt if I get a head start of half the distance, your logic doesn't make sense, are the 2nd baseman you face significantly slower than the SS?
I don't understand what you're trying to say? 2nd baseman may be closer, but the runner is getting the "head start" going on the pitch while the 2nd baseman has to "stay put" for the pitch. That gap closes very quickly with elite speed at first. So then you cheat the 2nd baseman over closer to the bag, and now you have a huge hole on the right side of the infield. That's no good either. And don't forget your second baseman is actually running away from the tag where the SS is running into the play.

I used to see 2nd covering the steal occasionally at younger ages, but I saw it only one time when DD played 16U last year. We had a slapper up, and she got around the ball and purposely chopped it to where the 2nd baseman would have been if she wasn't cheating (she was about 3-4 steps off) toward the bag.

May 29, 2015
Plus F4 is running with R1, meaning she has to change direction or turn around to make a tag on the runner. F6 is already moving into the play and facing the right direction.

Aug 5, 2015
I don't understand what you're trying to say? 2nd baseman may be closer, but the runner is getting the "head start" going on the pitch while the 2nd baseman has to "stay put" for the pitch. That gap closes very quickly with elite speed at first. So then you cheat the 2nd baseman over closer to the bag, and now you have a huge hole on the right side of the infield. That's no good either. And don't forget your second baseman is actually running away from the tag where the SS is running into the play.

I used to see 2nd covering the steal occasionally at younger ages, but I saw it only one time when DD played 16U last year. We had a slapper up, and she got around the ball and purposely chopped it to where the 2nd baseman would have been if she wasn't cheating (she was about 3-4 steps off) toward the bag.
Most of what you said (and your original post) applies to both the 2nd baseman and SS.

You do make a good point about running away from the play vs into it. It's definitely easier for the SS vs the 2nd baseman to get in good position if they are equally far away from the bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish