Defense Strategy 2nd Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2023
Old thread, I know, but does anyone have insight as to why baseball covers 2nd on steals differently than softball? I‘m used to (w RHB) that 2B would take the throw down to 2nd. In softball, I’ll cheat 2B to middle to cover. I’ve received some heat about it (coaches/parents), but I know I’ve had the most outs in league this way.

Jun 8, 2016
Old thread, I know, but does anyone have insight as to why baseball covers 2nd on steals differently than softball? I‘m used to (w RHB) that 2B would take the throw down to 2nd. In softball, I’ll cheat 2B to middle to cover. I’ve received some heat about it (coaches/parents), but I know I’ve had the most outs in league this way.
In theory in softball the IF is usually taught to not move to cover until they know the ball hasn’t been put in play. Not sure this always happens in practice but I don’t see many balls hit to where the vacated player would have been. That said I don’t disagree (especially at the older age groups) with your premise depending on the pitch being thrown,etc.

Jul 9, 2023
In theory in softball the IF is usually taught to not move to cover until they know the ball hasn’t been put in play. Not sure this always happens in practice but I don’t see many balls hit to where the vacated player would have been. That said I don’t disagree (especially at the older age groups) with your premise depending on the pitch being thrown,etc.
Thank you for reply! It just seems many folks are insisting that’s ss must cover 2B on steals…like it’s officially the only way.

Aug 20, 2017
Thank you for reply! It just seems many folks are insisting that’s ss must cover 2B on steals…like it’s officially the only way.
Everything has to go off of bunt coverages or you will get embarrassed. More bunting in softball. If 2B covers a steal what does she do on a bunt with a runner at 1B? Does she cover 1B or 2B? Does the 1B stay back and cover 1B or crash? You have to think bunt coverage first

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
With a slapper up and a runner at 1B I use the 2B to cover the Steal keeping 1B back, pitcher having bunts on 1B line. You need multiple bunt coverages as level of play increases
I am assuming that the batter was a lefty also. So this is the best answer. Thread over.

Jul 9, 2023
I’m sure there is a “cat and mouse” element. In my LL I did not see a bunt all season, so that was not a threat. Maybe in Jr league I’ll see it.

Jun 8, 2016
I’m sure there is a “cat and mouse” element. In my LL I did not see a bunt all season, so that was not a threat. Maybe in Jr league I’ll see it.
It is situation dependent. That said people in softball bunt when they shouldn’t (along with getting thrown out at third with no or two outs) so good luck..

May 13, 2023
In my LL I did not see a bunt all season, so that was not a threat.
And not a strategy to have contended with.

My .04 cents...
While second base can cover second on steels
1. it means they are coming from behind the runner and there can be a visual impairment seeing throw
2. as well as the runner getting in between the throw and the second baseman trying to receive throw. Runner's body blocks throw.
3. Another issue can be if the second baseman gets in the way of the runner approaching second base bag.
Like Crossing in front of the runner without the ball. More possibility of collision.

4.Prefer shortstop covering straight steals to second (no runner on 3rd)
Because they are coming into the play and can visually see both the throw and the runner coming at the same time/ same direction of play. Where the ball and Runner are going to be.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26