Defense against the slap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
Looking for advise on defending against a very quick LH slap hitter that can successfully put the ball to either SS or 2B gap.

Dec 28, 2008
Put fielders in those locations :)

Seriously though, I'm guessing she can put the ball where she wants it, as hard as she wants it. So defending the slap is very difficult to do. Best defense is to practice fielding under pressure situations so that they don't panic, and trying to find the pitches that this player doesn't produce as well on.

Apr 19, 2011
thanks. Yes, she went 4 for 4 put the ball in 4 different spots. When fielders in she hit it past them when back a little she beat out the throw. Very talented. As you said, find a pitch she can't hit would be the best defense.

Jul 26, 2010
There are some good defenses for slapping on Cindy Bristows site. The problem is not so much defending against the lone slapper, but defending against a slapper who can put one down wherever she wants it OR slap for power. You can always play the outfield very shallow, almost to infield against a pure slapper, but if they know how to power-slap, you're screwed.

-W

Feb 9, 2011
I saw a coach that has a pretty successful TB club pull his second baseman in and shift his outfield to the left as soon as the girl hit the 1B side box. The outfield was taught to set up mid deep and charge on release was fairly affective technique with the machine of a short stop he has. If you hit anywhere near his SS you are out she is a vacuum on that side.

Nov 29, 2009
You can always play the outfield very shallow, almost to infield against a pure slapper, but if they know how to power-slap, you're screwed.

Funny you should mention that. There is a girl on my daughter's old college team who is a slapper. She is a senior this year. For the season she is hitting .340, has 7 HR's, .670 Slg % and an OBP of .425. She leads the team in almost every offensive category for average and power after 100 AB's.

I know when I'm working with my slappers I teach them to take what the defense is giving them and try not force anything. What I tell them is, if they can make a defender move 3-4 steps to field the ball there's pretty good chance they will be safe.

Mar 13, 2010
There is a girl on my daughter's old college team who is a slapper.

I take it Americans don't have the same meaning for slapper that England/Australia has? ;-)

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Can the pithcer throw a rise ball?? It should get the slapper to pop the ball up if i am correct or just throw a high strike!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Ha! Slang - The Best of British - The American's guide to speaking ...
Slapper - A slapper is a female who is a bit loose. ...

In this instance, we are talking about (generally) a lefty that can poke the ball about anywhere and they are very fast runners.

Mar 13, 2010
In this instance, we are talking about (generally) a lefty that can poke the ball about anywhere and they are very fast runners.

Oh we use that here too, except if you ever tell someone she's a great slapper usually it will take the team (however old, even the teens) about ten minutes to recover.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish