decisions....decisions.....what would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 21, 2011
This is my girls first year of ASA ball and I am a assintant on her 10u developmental team. We have 7 solid girls on the team. We are struggling to fill our roster. We just picked up a girl that has no experience playing softball at any level just so we can have a team ready by April when the tournaments start. Our pitching is also struggling quite a bit and I feel we haven't worked in that dept hard enough. Here is my dilemma. We have been contacted by the older 10u team from the same organization that is also struggling to fill there roster. They want my girl to play on that team. My dd is only 8 so I know she might not see as much playing time on that team but last fall they won every tournament they entered. Like I said this is both dd and I first year for ASA tb. This is causing a ton of stress on both dd and I. This is supposed to be fun isn't it? My dd loves the game and so do I. She works harder then anyone on her current team. So do I stick with a group of girls that might not have a team or do I take her to a team that already has 9 girls and give her a chance to have all her hard work pay off and win some games?

Nov 8, 2010
I agree. This sounds a little strange that you have another team within your own organization trying to lure you to their roster? I would stay away from that. Stick with the team you are on and try to make it work. This is 10u and it can be a very rewarding age group to coach if you are willing to work at it and be patient! If these are mostly first year players, you will be amazed where they are at the end of the season with a little hard work!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Why would you even consider going to a team where you know your DD is probably not going to play. How is not playing equal to a reward for all her hard work?

I never understood that. The whole "Practice with a better team will be a good experience" is a total load of BS if you don't get the fun of PLAYING THE GAME. Especially when they are very young.

So what if this other team wins a lot. 10U - NO ONE CARES THE NEXT SEASON. And your DD is going to care that she didn't play much more than getting a few wins which she will probably get next year anyway or possibly the game time she is going to get on her current team makes her so much better she can move to the better team next season and be confident she is going to actually play.

It is OK to be the best player at the level you are playing or on the team you are playing on. It is sometimes much better to play SS or be the #1 pitcher on a weaker team and get the playing experience than sit on a bench or play outfield only.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Stay with the first team. The first weekend will likely be shock and awe for your girls but they will get it. By the end of the summer you will see great improvement. And find at least 2 girls who will start seeing a pitching coach at least once a week if your pitching is struggling.

Dec 11, 2010
Beast- I wish I had some really good advice for you other than to tell you that I know you are a "do the right thing" kind of guy and it will come together for you and your daughter. Yes- It IS about having fun and if it isn't fun the kids will find something else to do.

I know the season is almost upon us but there are still some girls out there that are looking for teams. Our team just picked up a very nice young lady who is athletic and has a really nice swing. We are at 10 girls now. As of two weeks ago I knew of a 2001 pitcher who was looking for a team. By now I'm sure she is taken but there has to be more girls out there.

What is killing the game in our area is two 10u start up teams but worse is two large well established organizations that are causing alot of problems. One has three 10u teams, two are which are feeder teams that keep a 14 girl roster and snatch up every girl that shows any ability to pitch. They tie up tons of girls who would be much better off somewhere else and the parents are lured by the big name team. They will leave after the first year looking for playing time and less politics.

The other large team is going around trying to cherry pick girls off of other teams. They are making parents the offer to "waive player fees" since they know the parents already paid for the other team.

Some people take this stuff way too seriously.

Last edited:

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Advertise for players!! I put out some free advertisements here and on a local softball website! Within two days a dad responded and I found my 3rd pitcher! Don't leave your team...help build it!!

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I would stay with the team you're already on. I don't see the point in playing up and sitting on the bench no matter how many trophies you get.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I think staying with your current team makes the most sense, and do your best to make the most out of the experience. Consider the longer term problems that may occur if you jump to the other team. Will they all age up next year? If so, then the team you left will be the team you will try to rejoin next year. I can't imagine that would be very pleasant!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Always a tough decision. If you had a full number of girls I'd immediately say stay on the first team. But you said you don't. I'd play some politics for a couple of weeks with the older group, keep them hanging long enough to find your last missing players. If you can't, the older team and maybe less time is better than not playing at all.

May 25, 2010
She's 8. She needs to play to improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes