DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
I don’t think the swing has changed. I think bad info is being used. Guys like Yelich, Arod, Trout and Miggy are on video saying so. Launch angle ‘swings’ to me are the new PEDs. They are trying to get paid. No crime in that. But to youngsters learning the swing. Those mechanics won’t play imo.

As far as the hands go... what are we swinging? The bat right? So the body sets the posture of the attack or the base. But the object being swung is the bat so wherever the hands release the bat will be the swing plane. If that wasn’t so, dropping your hands wouldn’t be a thing right? But I understand what you mean. The balance and posture(spine) sets the hands up to set the plane of the swing... You can’t be consistent without both.

At least that how I see it with the best hitters.. Even JD says he sets the plane with his front elbow.. which is directly connected to the front hand. Right?

‘Strike the ball’ great cue !!!

Wrong. The elbow is not directly connected to the hand.
Front elbow is directly attached to the forearm and then the hands are distal.
The elbow is also directly attached to the upper arm and then to the shoulders which are proximal.
Which one is closer to the power? (hint: proximal means close or near)
When have the hands ever been able to move the elbow or any if the rest of the body?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Some have taught, use your hands and the body will follow or react. Others have said, you know what the hands do? They hold the damn bat.
Given that choice
I would lean towards the latter.

Jul 29, 2013
I'm using the heavy bag combined with the Blast sensor. It measures both acceleration and bat speed at contact. It's a form of backwards chaining, meaning there is no goal of trying to hit a ball. You simple swing into the heavy bag as quickly/short as possible. So, you are just focusing and the swing being quick. Then when hitting a ball you simple take the same swing and rely on the incredible machine God created. You don't feel for the ball, you just swing and rely on coordination or the "force". It's like shooting a basket ball, you relying on a force generation/coordination thing that ends with the ball going into the basket.
Shawn, I love the heavy bag!
A suggestion. .... don't work on being quick. Instead, have her throw the barrel away from the ball/bag as hard as she can. Tell her to use the rest if her body to redirect the barrel to the bag. Don't overcoach it except to tell her to throw the barrel as hard as she can. (big bat tip) Work on it some until her body and brain figure it out (incredible machine). Then check the Blast sensor. Let me know.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Acceleration is CHANGE OF SPEED over time. Nothing to do with mass.
The ball doesn't care what the starting speed of the bat is or when it started. The transfer of energy is entirely dependant on mass x speed.
If I drive my car all the way to your house and only accelerate at 1/2 mph per hour, the rate of acceleration is very slow but the speed when I hit your house will be very great because of the time in travel.
And yes I want to max out the bat speed every time because 3 little jabs is all I'm going to get in a ball game and walking back to the dugout sucks.
I'm swinging maxed out every time. In all levels but especially at the higher levels, you may only get one opening to do some damage. Make sure you're jogging the bases instead of standing on first.
In 2018 LSU had a good team batting avg but way below avg runs per game. Lots of players getting to first but none crossing the plate. You go 3 for 3 and it's a meaningless stat unless your teammates can get timely hits. But then you're moving to second base and all the while there's a pitcher and 8 others trying to send you to the dugout. I like the one on one odds. Me against the pitcher. He makes a mistake, I'm going to make him pay.
Watch MMA. One guy sticks and jabs and wrestles his a$$ off but the other guy throws and lands one haymaker. Fight's over. The judges have no say.

I recall a game my dd played. Oppo pitcher has a devasting rise ball and mixes in other stuff. Strikes out the side every inning. It's late and we're down 3 zip. Our batters become patient and draw 2 walks. 2 on and 2 out. Ground ball to short and she flips to 3rd, late. Bases loaded 2 out. Batter in the box knows the rise ball is the go to and she's got a 2-2 count, the balls were curves in and away off the plate, the strikes- both riseballs. Pitcher throws the rise to a batter who's looking for the rise and swinging for the fence.
They never found that ball.
We win 4-3.
If the batter throws a jab....who knows? Maybe we need 3 more successful jabs? How many mistakes does the team in the field, pitcher plus 8 need to make so we win?
My batters are there to do damage. No fence too far!

Nice result. What age division is this?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Wrong. The elbow is not directly connected to the hand.
Front elbow is directly attached to the forearm and then the hands are distal.
The elbow is also directly attached to the upper arm and then to the shoulders which are proximal.
Which one is closer to the power? (hint: proximal means close or near)
When have the hands ever been able to move the elbow or any if the rest of the body?

Same difference. It’s the arm not the spine. We are talking about ‘planing’ Bobby. You said it’s the barrel not the shoulder etc etc. remember? I don’t think anyone here thinks the barrel planes the pitch I could be wrong.

Jul 29, 2013
Same difference. It’s the arm not the spine. We are talking about ‘planing’ Bobby. You said it’s the barrel not the shoulder etc etc. remember? I don’t think anyone here thinks the barrel planes the pitch I could be wrong.
Shoulders, perpendicular to the spine, plane the efficient swing.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Optimally the barrel does plane the pitch. How that happens and how long it happens and what body parts accomplish this is what is being discussed.

I think?????

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
When training sprinters, do we just tell them to just run faster? Or do we train conservation of energy? Energy transfer
Optimally the barrel does plane the pitch. How that happens and what body parts accomplish this is what is being discussed.

I think?????

Not according to the pros. The barrel follows the hands. Wherever the hands go the barrel follows. Don’t drop your hands! Get on top! Stay inside! Don’t cast! What controls all these cues? Hands? Barrel? Spine? Shoulders?

If you want to say the body sets the plane , then I’ll say the pitch sets the plane. Then you can say the eyes. Then I can say the brain. And on and on. We can do this all day. Not interested in that.

From a physical external feel, the hands do it. Ask any good pro.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13