DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Look at the catcher, unless he was setting up way outside that wasn't an outside pitch. Anyway I guess it appeared that way the way I wrote it, but I never said barrel paths are going to be the same regardless of pitch location...obviously. This isn't the best view for barrel path but whatever
r87Dl0L.gif

Seems to me the first clip matches the bottom left which looks to be an offspeed hanger on the outside part of the plate. Or at least in relation to where Miggy is standing in the box,

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Josh Donaldson may not be HOFer but the man can rake.

The only reason Donaldson won't be a HOFer (especially considering his defense) is that it took him until he was 26-27 before he figured out all this hitting stuff.

I like using Donaldson as some kind of proof because he went from a guy who could probably be a major league regular because of his great defense to a perennial All-Star because he coupled that D with a .900 OPS. He changed something to hit like this. We should pay attention to that.

Jun 8, 2016
Acceleration is speed over time. That’s the equation. It’s Mass x Acceleration. The barrel is nothing until it is accelerated.
With the above I am not sure if you were talking about the barrel acceleration at impact, but just as an FYI the acceleration of the barrel at impact actually has minimal effect on the exit velocity in comparison to the velocity of the barrel at impact. The reason is that the impact forces between the ball and bat are so much larger than the force component due to the barrel acceleration at impact. See below link for a page which talks about the impact forces due to the collision.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
He doesn't want to or is incapable of understanding. Bottom line is that he'll never understand. He's already said he's listening to HOFers because they must know what they're doing in spite of visual evidence to the contrary.
I'm here chuckling because he asked for a video of a kid I've coached and then says he won't comment on another member based on insufficient data. Just another excuse because his explanations fall way short of backing his theory.

Seriously?! You put up a drill swing and say a ‘work in progress’ to prove the validity of what you say? LOL cop-out! I took it as you saying ‘uncle’. What planet are you from? You are out of this world clueless. IOW way to slap a bunch of band-aids on your already weak theory.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
With the above I am not sure if you were talking about the barrel acceleration at impact, but just as an FYI the acceleration of the barrel at impact actually has minimal effect on the exit velocity in comparison to the velocity of the barrel at impact. The reason is that the impact forces between the ball and bat are so much larger than the force component due to the barrel acceleration at impact. See below link for a page which talks about the impact forces due to the collision.

Acceleration ‘into contact’ not at contact. The bat should be traveling it’s fastest right before contact. This is why we don’t want to back the ball up. Optimal contact point for any ball is out front either at the front foot or a bit farther out front.

But acceleration would be what the barrel should be doing,; gaining speed all the way up until contact. Instant top speed goes against the law of diminishing returns eg longer route. We already established this.

If you threw long haymakers all day against someone who threw more straight rights and jabs. You could very well land some and get a few knockdowns or big staggering blows. But who will land more ‘hits’ during the fight? Who will be more vulnerable to a knockout? As a result who will score more points? Or get more hits? Same difference here I believe.

Conservation of energy matters imo.

Average mlb bat speed is a meek 69 mph.

I’m all honesty the Rendon gif is truth man.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
But acceleration would be what the barrel should be doing,; gaining speed all the way up until contact. Instant top speed goes against the law of diminishing returns eg longer route. We already established this.
We did?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
AJ has a constant hand pivot, and launches from max tip on one leg.. That is a long swing in comparison to the greats.

KMVrY2K.gif

Rendon, is working the barrel in preparation for the whip.. His hands are free to adjust to the bodies whip. He does this from a leveraged position.

3FP2Ggi.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Post 219 and before I believe. I haven’t checked all the posts though. A longer route to the ball means you are committing sooner but with more speed.. a ‘hay maker’ as opposed to the ‘straight right’ Miggy is throwing. So you are committing sooner P. For the 117th time. More speed doesnt t equate to more efficiency(hits).

More speed + longer path = earlier committal = more power and less efficiency. The mlb average bat speed is low. What conclusion do you draw from that? Efficiency plays maybe? Or max speed?

The ones who do the least to generate the most live the longest-someone (I forgot).

Ps. Early bat speed or deep bat speed is an Internet guruism. No such thing. There is only early committal or right time committal.,that’s when the ‘speed’ component occurs. If you release early you spend the speed early. If you release later the speed wil be later. Simple as pie.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Can’t figure out where you stand RH. But exactly !!
I stand in the middle. The swing has changed. I was watching 1988 Dodgers on mlb tv the other day. Mickey Hatcher and Scocia had chopping down swings with little power. Gibsons swing was a little more launch angle.

All hitters ttb. Can it be over done? Dump the barrel and hit off back foot/ rotate over rear hip socket? Yes and yes. Especially if you are trying to instructed 10 or 12 y/o girls.

I like JD Martinez swing as model. He ttb a little latter and hits the ball out front. Very abalanced.

I like Donaldsons swing too.

W=W you say the hands set the swing plane. I think the spine angle and shoulders plane the swing. Hands are just making fine tunnings/adjustments when hitters timing isnt perfect.
Most hitters today are swinging for the fence. Even with 2 strikes their swings slow very little. I don't really like it but that's where the game has gone. The swing you are advocating is from days gone by.

LA Angels have a guy named David Fletcher. He had a breakout year. He played SS 3rd base 2nd base and OF and is the emergency catcher for the Angels. Highly entertaining gritty player hits for average but his value isn't as high as a guy who hits 30 plus HRs and strikes out 100 plus times. I wish he was considered more valuable but the game and swing have changed.

I never liked using Bonds swing as a model. He was a very large man. The argument that hitting off back foot give hitter longer time to see pitch doesnt work for a 10 year old because they are not strong enough to hit off their back foot. If BB swung like JD he would have hit the ball 600 feet. LOL

Jun 8, 2016
Post 219 and before I believe. I haven’t checked all the posts though. A longer route to the ball means you are committing sooner but with more speed.. a ‘hay maker’ as opposed to the ‘straight right’ Miggy is throwing. So you are committing sooner P. For the 117th time. More speed doesnt t equate to more efficiency(hits).
If you are assuming that a longer path (in space e.g more distance..not longer in time) takes more time then everything you say about commitment is true. If you believe that to be true, despite what I have been trying to tell you for the last 2 years, then I won't continue. Not a big deal..I will still like you (most of the time :LOL: )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802