dd without fire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
It is true that they either want it or they dont. But one thing that helps the kids that are " on the line" is plain old coaching.
I have seen huge numbers of girls and boys quit because practices were not organized and fun.

But even that is not always enough it is plain and true that your heart must be in what you do or you will quit at some time.
Not every body loves coaching or is cut out for it look at how many people try it and give it up. Playing the game its self is the same.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
My DD is 14 ..no boys ..
has gone through a couple of time periods when she was "lazy" "unmotivated" .. they weren't long though.

Nothing either parent could say would have worked.

The cure: getting her butt kicked pitching ... too many hits & walks ...

She'd make some ump excuse ..
my only comment was "more practice would have corrected X & y"
Nothing else as I wasn't getting into it with a hormonal teenager.

A couple of "just let me know when you are done playing, the bathroom needs a makeover"

She must have cared enough to work so that wouldn't happen again ... she loves to pitch .. but kids go through "stuff".

In the last year ...she hasn't whined a bit about practice and is actually bugging me to bring the gloves on vacation so she can pitch on the beach ...
It was a long year .. although her bruised elbow is fine ...a few weeks off would be a good thing!

Oct 12, 2009
I have a dd that just doesn't play up to her potential. My dd hates to lose but doesn't get that practice will help her get better. She would rather gab with the other girls and go half speed.Any suggestions on how to get the fire lit

I saw this happen with my 7th grade girls last year. I simply lost about 1/3 of the girls attitude-wise. They stopped caring and would rather talk. Sitting them during practice didn't work because that just gave them more time to talk.

This included the girl who was easily the most skilled on the team, and who I suspect was burned out.

I backed off and hope she will be more into it next year, but there's really nothing I or her parents can do to make her care.

3sDad

Re-Dux

First, how old?

I disagree with 3sDad--you can't make a kid practice hard, no matter how much you threaten or cajole them. The child will decide whether she will or won't practice. Parents simply have to listen and watch, and not be judgmental about their child's decision.

No you missunderstand, I dont mean this in a mean way, and I understand she is a young lady...we dont eat sleep and live softball 24-7, I do encourage her to hang out with her friends and be a young lady...matter of fact, her BFF, who is an outfielder on a team that is our main competition in the state is staying the night with us...eating spaghettit (sloppily too I may add)..

Im not an ogre at practice...she's not perfect, I dont expect her to be...but I do expect motivation and improvement...be it slices as thin as paper, but still improvement ...
I do not threaten...nor I do I scream or yell like Ive seen so many parents do...its a promise between us...but she knows, and knows well...I expect her to play at her ability level, and I expect improvement, and some motivation...

I spend untold thousands of dollars and tons of time, neither of which I begrudge her, and I actually really enjoy doing it with her....that is until she doesnt fullfill her side of the agreement...When we strap on the gear its time to play ball...at the level I KNOW she can do...She cheats herself, her team and to a degree me...She tells me she really wants to play college ball...and I will help her any way I possibly can...but she has to hold up her end of the deal by playing hard and improving, its a 2 way street...
plain and simple

Feb 26, 2010
Thanks everyone I am glad I'm not alone in my softball fantasy world. I really need to be patient and happy with the games I have seen her play and play well in.We are in a tournament this weekend and she is doing pretty good. I would really love to see her have a great tournament and have a great time. Thanks again everyone from a much more relaxed dad FOR THIS END OF SEASON !!!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors