DD pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
Is this what many here refer to as IR pitching?

D1.gif

Jun 24, 2009
Yes. The frame just after video stops is when IR occurs. The palm and forearm will internally rotate from 3rd base to 1st base.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We can't tell. You stopped the video just before release, when IR happens.

The following video is the best video of IR. IR is the rotation of the upper arm. Track the movement of her thumb during release, and you can see the rotation of her upper arm.

<embed src="http://share.ovi.com/flash/player.aspx?media=sluggers.10004&channelname=sluggers.softball" width="512" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

Mar 25, 2011
Is that 1st baseman very used to no one ever hitting off of this girl? She looks kind of disinterested for some reason....maybe its just the frozen frames. She also looks way smaller than the pitcher, and normally, 1st base would rival the pitcher in height! Just caught my eye as funny.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Is this what many here refer to as IR pitching?
Yes in that internal rotation simply refers to the arm internally rotating towards the body on the downside to release vs. the arm and hand being behind the ball, pulling down and snapping the wrist at the release point. There seem to be many other issues to look at however. If this is a fastball it is being released way to late and it appears some sort of side spin is being imparted on the ball. The video posted by sluggers would represent the proper release point and arm pattern ( minus that follow thru which is somewhat unique).

Jul 28, 2008
That's the 2nd baseman. She's about half the size of my daughter, but don't tell her that. She actually made a diving stop and throw to 1st for the out 2 pitches later.

Her release is late and she is leaning a bit. I gave her the summer off after state. She's been to two pitching clinics since and will be back tonight. I now have a better grasp of what everyone talks about when you mention IR.

Thanks

Oct 22, 2009
Shockcoach, have you been working with her on internal rotation or has she just been picking up on it herself?

Jul 26, 2010
Might want to work with her on not using her pivot foot as a brake causing her to lean forward when she pitches loosing about 10mph before you worry too much about the natural arm whip that occurs when a pitch is correct (otherwise known as IR).

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06