DD Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
This is my DD at practice last week. She is currently working to increase speed. Input is appreciated.

Sorry about the crummy video. I am not a video guy so if you need to slow it down or whatever, feel free.

[video]http://s382.photobucket.com/albums/oo262/kfrisbee1962/?action=view&current=randi1_30_11.mp4[/video]

Jul 26, 2010
Not bad. First two things I saw:

1.) Before she pushes off, she cocks her knee out to her right. This makes her loose a lot of potential energy by pushing it out towards the side. This might be what starts off #2. It's okay to turn the TOE out a bit, but the knee needs to remain pointed towards the catcher's glove. It should look like a sprinter start.

2.) Her stride foot lands very far to the (pitcher's) left of the power line. This is keeping her from opening up all the way which causes issues with her arm movement that comes later (and possibly accuracy). I realize she's starting with her stride foot to the left of the power line, but she's stepping even more to the left of it. From the front view, you can clearly see her entire body "jumping" to the catcher's right. All of this energy could instead be put to use driving the ball straight to the catcher. You can have her adjust this by moving her starting point to the right of the rubber so her stride foot is on the power line, and then make sure when she lands the ball of her stride foot is still on the line.

Fix these to things and I think her hips and arm movement will improve significantly, and if not, you can address those issues then.

-W

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Very interesting that you say this. Her PC is working on her getting more on the power line so he had her move off the line a bit to start. I have never noticed the knee cocking to her right which is forcing her entire movement to the left...

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Is that the only suggestions?

I was really hoping for some ideas on helping her to pick up a couple of MPH... We'll be working on the pushoff foot/leg/knee tonight.

thanks starsnuffer

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Proper mechanics will result in maximum speed in accordance with the physical limitations of the pitcher. My DD has gained about 8 MPH over the last 24 months - however, this only came with personal desire, constant practice, a great pitching coach that constantly stresses and reinforces proper fundamentals, and her increase in physical size and strength.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
SoCalASABlue, I agree 100%

I am looking for suggestions on optimizing mechanics. This weekend, we will be working on what starsnuffer suggested.

DD is dedicated, practices and has a good pitching coach.

Mar 23, 2010
Mechanics, Mechanics, Mechanics!!! My DD is 12 and has a great pitching coach who has always stressed mechanics over anything else. DD did not always understand that. But now she has started seeing the rewards of her hard work and what proper mechanics can do for you and it just motivates her to practice even harder.

May 10, 2010
I see her steping to the left of the power line and the ball going to the inside if a right handed batter. I would level out her shoulders. Her right shoulder dips taking her head with it at release point. I have my dd do what I call a step in. Its like a full pitch except no push off. She steps to the target while pitching, every else stays the same. IF throwing inside she steps to the right of the power line or to the left for outside. The focus is getting the front foot steping to the target while keeping the head still. WE do this when in out location becomes a problem. My theory is the hips turn the shoulders. Nothing changes except were the front foot goes. I am not good at explaining things typiing, so please excuse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13