DD needs the right bat to make things happen. Which one?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
I'm completely a voyeur on this site and have been soaking in the knowledge for several months. This is my first post.

My DD is newly 12 years old, 5'4" and 110 lbs. She is starting her fifth season of rec ball (darn soccer when she was younger, who knew softball was so much fun?) and has just made the middle school team.

I bought our first expensive (to me) bat (Easton Synergy Stealth 31") last year and she used it for awhile and then she and her coach decided it was too short. I convince my DH it's not outrageous to spend a couple hundred dollars on a bat and then she only uses it for one season. :| She started using her coach's Demarini vendetta 33" -12. She is confident with the borrowed bat, hits consistently, etc. but I really want a new bat and I just feel she could get more power and distance with something else.

I have read and read a ton of reviews and get more confused each day. I would love your thoughts about what bat you would buy your similarly sized DD if you could pick anything. I don't think she's used an end loaded bat before and I've read a lot about how if you're not used to that, it could be a problem. We don't really live in an area where we could try out better quality bats at stores so I sort of have to buy it from the internet and hope for the best. Also, I'm a bit confused about things I've read about breaking in bats. Is it true that a new composite bat is not going to be at it's best right out of the wrapper? If so, I'm worried DD may deem it not that great and insist on using this old, beat up vendetta and let another $$ bat languish in the bag. What do we need to do exactly to break in a new bat to get it performing at it's best.

Thanks so much for your time!

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I don't think her 31 is too short...BUT definately wouldn't use that as a reason to not buy a new bat.
My newly 13yr old about 5'8 1??lbs (medium build), can swing anything up to 34/30 pretty well. That being said, her favorite game bat is 32/22.
The more I learn about hitting...the less I like endloaded bats for the girls. If you can hit over the fence and infielders need ninja skills when you swing a light balanced bat, what is the point in putting batspeed in jeopardy to get even more power?
Bats: My short list: miken freak, worth 454, cf5, synergy, stealth.
Break in....I don't do it...they all hit pretty well right out of the wrapper...miken has the biggest rep for needing break in, but my dd hit her first grandslam 4 days after unwrapping a new freak. I do think it has gotten hotter, but I wouldn't risk the life of the bat by purposely hitting a bunch of balls or something less ethical.

Oct 7, 2009
Don't get a Vendetta. It's a piece of junk. My daughter really loves her Freak and my other daughter loves her Easton. Based on what I'm hearing about the Xenos, I'm never buying one of those.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Xeno approx. $275 good bat for a contact hitter. Its the big powerful brutes that should steer clear of the two piece bats. Remember, if her fundamentals aren't good then a $1000 bat is worthless.

Sep 18, 2011
Get her a -10, 32/22 is probably your best bet. My DD loves her Xeno.

Was going to suggest the same thing. Any name brand 32/22 balanced bat will work just fine. Don't think you can go wrong.

Sep 17, 2009
Your coach is off-base so why follow his opinion. Follow your own and your DDs. A 33inch drop -12 Vendetta is not a good bat. For her size her 31 inch Synergy is probably fine for now. You are making a decision based on bad direction from your coach. I'd do a mental reset and:

- consider playing this season with the Synergy
- hunt for a good -10 bat for the next few seasons, a 32 22 would probably work.

If she likes here Synergy, get another one. They'll last longer then a two-piece CF5 for instance.

My two cents.

Jan 25, 2011
Stay away from the xenos, I know other would disagree, but they have quality issues. They aren't even testing them at the same standards of other bats. It was in another thread on this site.

My DD is 5'4" 100 lbs and she is swinging a new two piece 31in, I am kinda wishing I had gone with the 32in now myself but I am not if considering it, instead going to the cages (not swinging the composite) and working on her swing.

I guess the BIGGEST question we are not asking is how is she hitting? does the coach think she can't cover the plate with that bat, he obviously does not care about getting a heavier bat since the Vendetta is so light. Just trying to figure out why he thinks she needs a different bat.

Amy knows what she is talking about and it's her sig....."stop worrying about the bat and worry about her swing"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA