DD needs the right bat to make things happen. Which one?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
Thanks so much for everyone's replies. She hits well and gets on base almost every at bat. She's usually 1st or 3rd in the lineup and she's fast. Granted we are in a rec league and about 50% of our players on the team each year have limited softball experience so it's easier to stand out when you have some natural athletic ability. I think maybe he's viewing her size (at 5'4" and newly 12, she's always been the tallest on our team each year by several inches) and knowing the majority of the team are using 31"-32" bats...I guess maybe he thinks, 'you need a bigger bat.' I don't know what he's thinking but he's a nice guy and I like buying softball equipment almost as much as I like buying shoes so any reason to buy a new bat is OK with me. ;) Because he said it and handed her that Demarini 33" it's the 'right one' in her eyes now and you know what credibility I have over anything he says (very limited).

I've decided to buy a Demarini CF5 32/22. I found one at an authorized Demarini online retailer for about $70 less than the going rate and want to buy it but part of me is wondering why it's cheaper. It's a 2013, same model number, etc. I did look at closeoutbats.com and they want the going rate for the bat but they do have a 'Blem' for $199. Is it OK to buy a blemished bat that states it's only problem is a cosmetic defect and the structure of the bat is normal but there is no warranty? I'd think if the structure of the bat is normal, why deny a warranty? Has anyone ever bought a 'Blem" from closeoutbats.com?

Or I could buy a 2012 CF5 and save an additional $40 (which is $120 less than the standard $299 going rate for the 2013).

Is a 2013 worth the added cost over the 2012 model?

Thanks again!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'd get the 2012. It's cheaper and will come w/ a warrantee (which you probably won't need) and you can put the extra cash to a hitting lesson (or send it to me via PayPal).

Nov 3, 2012
I bought the 2012 cf5 new from an online retailer this morning for $174. With the money I saved, I decided we needed another glove too. :D

Thanks everyone.

Not a bad call, I did not want to unduly influence you but my DD has the CF5 as well, and it feels lighter so she won't have any problems swinging it.

Getting the 2012 was the right call too, basically the same bat and you save tons of money, but remember she still has to make good contact and that takes practice.

May 25, 2010
Smart move, because you're unlikely to see any performance difference between the 2012 and the 2013.

As for thinking you need composite bats to be competitive in a rec league, well that's another matter altogether. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA