DD needing prescription glasses while playing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
My son wears a pair of sports glasses from Wal-Mart. Never had an issue with them and we feel more comfortable with him wearing those rather than his regular glasses which have all the bells and whistles on the lenses. He's a catcher as well and the glasses do make it a bit more difficult putting the mask on but since he never takes his off during an inning (see Catching Forum), it's not proven to be a big deal.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
DD's eyes are terrible....like a -8 or something. She refuses to wear contacts (12 year old) for some reason. Her eye doctor has been trying to get her into contacts for two years now. She won't even touch her eyeball with her finger. We bought her Liberty Sport glasses for her when she played soccer, but she just wears regular glasses for everything now.

Dec 28, 2015
Schaumburg, IL
DD tried the sport specs for a year. In our experience, they are not ideal. If she has to play in the rain, it's a huge issue because she has to keep wiping them off. We've had them steam up on her on a very humid day, and she's had sweat dripping down them on more than one occasion. Hers were not sunglasses, so not being able to wear sunglasses over them was an issue, and they also block peripheral vision because the frames are so large. As a result, we also chose to go with disposable contacts (at 9 yo.) Like the post above, my DD also does not like touching her eye and hates putting them in. Once they are in, though, she doesn't have any issues with them, and she is able to get them out without any problem. So in my opinion, it's totally worth having to put them in for her every time she needs them. She doesn't love it, but she tolerates me putting them for her better than doing it herself, so that's what we do. I was concerned about her getting dust blown in her eyes from the field, but she didn't have any issues wearing them for softball or basketball last year. We do carry the sport specs in her bag just in case she has problems with the contacts. Based on my experience going through this, I'd definitely suggest checking into getting disposable contacts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA