DD is smacking her side on her down motion...and behind her back on the backswing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
I've been doing my best to help my daughter as is her pitching coach, but she has started hammering her side with her forearm and we have modified her motion to keep her from even having a back swing, but she loses velocity doing that. I am worried she isn't going to rebound. She has been an excellent pitcher, she is 14U first year, but her season will be short if she keeps up with this.

Any advice?

Thanks,
H-

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The DFP pitching gurus will have a better chance of diagnosing the problem if you post a video of your DD pitching.

Jun 24, 2013
My interpretation of a piece of Hal’s advice is put something on her that makes her uncomfortable when she hits it; I think he mentioned using a thumb tack. I am sorry if I misstated this but I like the idea.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Congrats to her for wanting (?) to change. It depends on how much she is smacking her thigh, if she even needs to change. I don't teach it, so I rarely have to change it. But slapping your thigh has been known to cause carpal tunnel syndrome. I no longer teach any pre-motion - but she does still need a load. I just do a barrel roll with my hands together, in front of me.

Also, during her pre- motion, I would encourage her to go straight back and miss her thigh.

One other thing that she might try is to punch the glove out toward the catcher and bring her elbow back into her ribs. The glove is still up to protect her, then.

She can also practice without her glove. She won't have anything to smack her hip with, then. She needs a lot of repetition to change a habit. She can practice her new motion inside the house, though and that helps.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
She is hitting her oblique with the inside of her elbow on her downswing. I am thinking she is closing her hips keeping her arm behind. Hips-arm instead of arm hips... I'll try and do a video today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32