DD hit in the face.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
GD- thank you and your DD for sharing this experience, I am going to show DD this post when she gets back from FL, where I agreed to let her go with mouth guard to pitch, mask for infield. Definitely going to rethink that.

As an aside, she called me today- they had won their first game today but she got rattled after she hit a line drive, right back at the pitcher, that the pitcher managed to deflect but couldn't field because she was too stunned. DD saw the near miss and it shook her up. Either way - safety over what the other girls think.

my opinion about the masks. DD tried a number of masks and settled on Rip-It. She tried two other commercially available masks (not the Worth one shown by gophert- that looks very good!) before that and found Ripit to be the lightest, have best visibility and to perform best in the heat (some day it will be hot again in NJ, today it is 32). Chin piece can come loose but is easily fixed. I wear one when I catch for her, and I agree with that too. The Georgia pitcher wears a ripit. There was also a D1 pitcher on the west coast that wore a Bangerz mask HS-6500 (Softball Eye Protection) after she suffered an orbital fracture after being hit by a line drive. This covers the orbits (which are most in need of protection) and nasal bones but not the jaw- but in combination with a good mouth guard would be an alternative. We have one of those too, but DD likes the Rip-it better, she did not like the way the Bangerz mask looked.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2010
I'm glad your daughter is ok GD, so scary!

My DD has the Rip-it mask and I just rec'd the new replacement chin cups I ordered. They adhere very well to the mask. The older chin cups seemed to have velcro that wore out quickly. You can also take a look at the Schutt defensive masks - very similar to Rip-it but a tad heavier and a different set up for the chin cup. Best of luck!

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Have had a few pitchers try the game face and all including dd liked the Rip It better. The new rip its have the better chin cups. If you have an old Rip it..you can just get the new cup.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
GD,

I'm glad to hear she's okay, relatively speaking. I've seen that happen as a coach too many times. Our HS team had their 3rd baseman take one to the teeth about 5-6 years ago. Lost most of her front teeth and cost plenty to fix. She was a great defensive 3rd baseman and it made my stomach turn to watch. Wishing a speedy recovery on your DD's pain to go.

As for the masks, Shutt has way better chin pads. My DD has a Rip-It, but her replacement will be the Schutt.

Dec 25, 2010
I see alot of the metal ones around here. My DD hated the ripit she tried on. She has a Defender plastic one that we bought at Dicks.

My advice would be to try to go to a store that has a few different ones and let her try them on if possible rather than buy online. JMO

Only complaint she has with the Defender is when its very hot but I believe they all are a bit of a problem in the heat

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Yes a pic would be great. Is this something with the older versions of Rip it? Do the 2013 styles have the newer upgraded pad?

GD, I would imagine they ship now with the "better" chin pad, but I cannot say for certain.

In the image below, you can see the new chin pad on the left and the old on the right. The new chin pad has a much rougher surface for the Velcro to grip and stay attached.

chin_zps62a21607.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877