DD hit in the face.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
I hear you. SS thought it was a dribbler at first so she went hard for the ball, We all screamed in the dug out NOOOOOOOO! As far a fielders positioning, with 60 feet to 1st and teh speed of the girls playing, it can be a long day if you are back to far. I wish this generation played more pick up ball duing their nonn tema time, like we did back in the day, the more reps the better you can read the batter and the hit.

Yes , slappers make it tough. But , still no reason to be 30 ft. Away from the hitter. We try to combat slappers with our pitch calling to take some of the pressure off our fielders

May 2, 2012
Pitcher wearing mask...

My daughter pitches and her Opthalmologist recommended face mask or safety glasses at minimum to prevent being blinded if hit in an eye.

Glad yoir DD is OK and has no major injuries. :)

Mar 1, 2013
Sorry to hear that she got drilled, but really glad that she's going to be OK!

FWIW, there is a brand new Rip-it mask sitting on my dining room table. When the older DD recovers from her bout with pneumonia, it's going on her face whenever she hits the infield (she plays 1st mostly).

Nov 14, 2011
Not a bat issue? If it was shaved, rolled or illegal it is. Don't think that there aren't shaved bats in the fastpitch game. I am not saying that the girl might have been a cheater. The girls don't know that their bats are altered.

The last time I was told about a pitcher being taken out with a liner, the batter's dad walked out on the field, picked up the bat and locked it in his trunk.

Shaved bats are even in the 10U game, now.

Sorry to go OT. I am very serious about safety.

I am a pitchers dad also so I share the same feelings about safety that most of us here do. I just don't want to blame a bat for a good hit that results in a bad result (injury). Nobody wants an injured player on the field, especially when it is their DD being hit in the face by a ball. I just won't jump to conclusions about every bat being involved in a injury being an "illegal" bat. Batters are stronger, batters are using better equipment and this leads to harder hit balls. If your a parent of a pitcher and don't have a discussion with your DD about wearing a mask, then the finger needs to be pointed at YOU, not the bats. The bat did its job, but the mask would have done its job also if the pitcher would have been wearing one.

Jan 24, 2011
I am a pitchers dad also so I share the same feelings about safety that most of us here do. I just don't want to blame a bat for a good hit that results in a bad result (injury). Nobody wants an injured player on the field, especially when it is their DD being hit in the face by a ball. I just won't jump to conclusions about every bat being involved in a injury being an "illegal" bat. Batters are stronger, batters are using better equipment and this leads to harder hit balls. If your a parent of a pitcher and don't have a discussion with your DD about wearing a mask, then the finger needs to be pointed at YOU, not the bats. The bat did its job, but the mask would have done its job also if the pitcher would have been wearing one.

Agree with all this except the "discussion" part. There shouldnt be one.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
First, Thank God she is alright and just sore. Nice looking lump that she can brag about some day. My dd was hit 2 times in one year in the face and I've told that story several times here so won't rehash. I know exactly how you felt. DD did get the out both times and then screamed. One busted her chin and lip. It was pretty bloody. The other hit her in the cheek and she had seem cuts. On both occassions, we did not take her to the emergency room and maybe should have. Her coach stopped the team off at local icecream shops both times so dd could get a cold milkshake for the inside of her mouth. DD wore mouth guards and so teeth were good. We could never get her to wear a mask. Oh, she would walk out and take her warmups with one and then, the first time she walked a hitter, the mask would come off. After both times, dd was mad at herself for her pitch location.

GD, this will be a tough time for her. While she might say that it doesn't affect her, it will. I know my dd mentioned that after the first time that she did think about getting hit again a lot. After the second one, she was more mad than anything else. GD, you are going to have to work with her a little on the idea of a mask. I'm betting your dd is a major competitor. She will probably not want one. Obviously, I messed up as a parent and didn't force her. However, when dealing with major competitors as many of our dds are, you have to understand their mindset as well.

Edited to add:

GD, I hope I didn't jinx you with my pm. As an FYI, my dd hit two pitchers this week in college softball. In both occassions, the ball flew off of them and the ss caught one while the 2B caught the other. In both cases, the pitchers were hurt.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
GD, I am glad she is going to be OK. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope this will influence those on the fence about a mask to go get one.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thank you all for the concern and kind words. I've taken shots to the body, DD has taken shots to the body, BUT I can't express enough how that felt last night as a parent to see a screaming line drive hit her on the face. It happened so fast that I knew it hit her face, but I didn't know where ( mouth, chin, eyes, nose ). It knocked her head back like Mike Tyson gave her an uppercut.

Like I said earlier, we know the batter, D1 bound UTM and has always had a great bat. With her you just try to force a pop up or grounder, she doesn't K very often.

I'm an optimist by nature, so perhaps this has happened for a reason. DD will be playing college next year, that means naturally the competition will be better, the players will be stronger, there will be more balls hit into play, etc.

I'm not going to take sides on the mask on our forum. I've said many times before DD didn't like them and wouldn't wear them in the past. Now that she's been hurt, it would be hypocritical of me to say they need to be mandatory. All I can say is my heart skipped a beat, I felt like I aged 5 years..............from the time of impact until she was able to stand back up and be helped off the field. I never want to feel that way again. She was very lucky, and I thank the good Lord I still have my girl this morning.

This week we will begin working with, and adjusting to the mask.

May 18, 2009
I watched a close call yesterday. Line drive two inches above the pitchers head. Zero time to react. Two inches lower and there's an ambulance called.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad