Another Pitcher Hit in the Face

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
Last night I saw another pitcher, without a face mask, get hit by a line drive on the side of her face. Fortunately, there does not appear to be any serious injuries. We pulled her out of the game, had her put ice on, and had her mother keep an eye on her. The pitcher complained of a headache and had a contusion on her face. I glad that it wasn't any worse.

It made me think of all that space for a ball to go around her and it hits her. And with all of her body why did it have to hit her in the face?

I shared my thoughts about pitchers wearing face masks in other posts, having had one of my daughters get hit in the face as well. Needless to say, my daughters wear their masks on the mound or while playing infield.

Oct 10, 2011
I took my DD out last night and she wore her new facemask for the first time and complained the entire time. I hope she gets used to it soon...I actually think she was trying to do worse to make her point that it impairs her vision!

Jun 7, 2013
The reason I posted about witnessing another girl getting hit in the face is to remind people of the inherent danger involved in standing 43 feet away from a girl with a metal bat taking a swing at a hard core softball. If you see a girl (especially your DD) get hit in the face with such a hard hit ball you'll never question wearing a face mask. After that incident, I never have to remind my daughters to wear their mask, nor do we have to remind anyone on their team who was there at that time.

Oct 10, 2011
The reason I posted about witnessing another girl getting hit in the face is to remind people of the inherent danger involved in standing 43 feet away from a girl with a metal bat taking a swing at a hard core softball. If you see a girl (especially your DD) get hit in the face with such a hard hit ball you'll never question wearing a face mask. After that incident, I never have to remind my daughters to wear their mask, nor do we have to remind anyone on their team who was there at that time.
I unfortunately saw it with my DD 2 weeks ago...took a bad bounce at 3rd. We thought she was okay and while walking to the pitcher to hand her the ball, she blacked out, came to and a bit later started throwing up. She's 15 and very stubborn!

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

Good point. Most girls will end up around 38' from a batter. Less if it is a slapper moving thru the box.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I took my DD out last night and she wore her new facemask for the first time and complained the entire time. I hope she gets used to it soon...I actually think she was trying to do worse to make her point that it impairs her vision!
I have a player who's father thinks she is the best player on the team - but she has demonstrated a fear of the ball and doesn't want to wear her mask.
I typically will not play her in the infield because I don't need a bullfighter, I need a ballplayer!

let your daughter know that regardless of what she thinks of the mask, the coach is always watching to see if she's a player. if she pulls her head away when playing a ball, she's done at that position.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I unfortunately saw it with my DD 2 weeks ago...took a bad bounce at 3rd. We thought she was okay and while walking to the pitcher to hand her the ball, she blacked out, came to and a bit later started throwing up. She's 15 and very stubborn!
Remind her than not wearing it didn't seem to help her vision either.

Jun 7, 2013
Just have to ask; Do you let you DD's ride a bike or swim in a residential swimming pool?

Yes, I do. And I see your point. But I am talking about something that happened to my DD that could have easily been prevented with a $50 face mask. It's been two years now and I think that she is finally 95% back. I still feel that same sick feeling that I felt when I saw my DD get hit two years ago when I see another girl get hit by a ball. I apologize if I am hitting this point too hard. I just don't want it to happen to anyone else.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Understand that I am in no way faulting you for your decision. It is just that in the absence of emotion my economist mindset finds the mitigation of some risks without regard to other more substantial risks very interesting. I ask similar questions of parents who display a "Baby on Board" sign in the back of their minivan. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi