DD going under the knife

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Well its been a troublesome fall for my older DD. She hyper extended her left leg last July(running home to home times if you can believe that) went to Dr. had x-ray and nothing was wrong but got better after a week or two...played the rest of fall but around the middle of fall she started having a little pain in her left knee so she continued to play the rest of fall with just a little pain until about Dec. Around January she got a call from her ex coach and asked her if she wanted to play a few games for him since his ss wasn't going to be able to make the trips so she said yes. The last game of the last tournament she played for her ex coach went extra innings (I believe 9innings) after that game is when she started having major pain in her left knee. Went to the Ortho Dr. and he examined her and prescribed PT once a week for 10 weeks .....and that was helping a lot until about half way through PT .....then it got worse again having the pain(8 out of 10 pain)....went back to Ortho Dr. and he prescribed MRI of the knee ....and it didn't show a thing so now the only option is to do exploratory laproscopic knee surgery on Wed. Ortho said a lot of times an MRI doesn't always show what is wrong with knee but all the ligaments look to be OK but said sometimes a meniscus tear could have laid back in the place where it was torn and an MRI will not pick it up or possibly might have a bone chip floating around in her knee ....but we do know she has something wrong because she had a bakers cyst behind her knee and the Dr. said that is a result of some sort of damage in the knee. So fingers crossed because Colorado is in jeopardy if something is really bad and she has several college coaches that are planning to watch her there this July

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Sorry to hear. Best of luck. The good thing its the advances in knee surgery if necessary are really good these days.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I had a medial meniscus (inside of knee) tear in my left knee that I had repaired last June. On my first ortho visit my doctor ordered a
MRI and it also came back inconclusive. Dr. said alot of times an MRI don't or can't show soft tissue damage and as you said the tear
can lay back into place. With little to no blood flow in that area the tear will not repair itself (thats what my Dr. told me). Anyway I'm
48 years old and pretty active and I had a heck of a time getting over this, I actually just finished my third shot yesterday of Visco
knee therapy (3 injections 3 weeks in a row). Best of luck to your DD wichita, I didn't see her age but she will heal up way better and
way faster than this old man. Just get it taken care of ! The faster its repaired, the faster she can get to living and playing pain free.
Again, best of luck to her and you. Knee pain just flat out sucks !

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I tore my meniscus pretty bad in college, it definitely did not "lay back down" in fact it layed up and would catch on something and lock my knee up when I extended past 45 degrees occasionally. Not knowing anything and having no medical insurance, and being 21 and thinking I was invincible, I just kind of slowly worked it back and forth and lived with it. I went to the college medical clinic once to see what it was and that is where they told me what a meniscus was. In about a month it healed over and the lock ups would happen less and less and then after about 2 months they went away. I stayed active on it and never had another problem.

So if a dumbass like me recovered with no medical attention then I am hopeful that your DD, with supportive parents and a good doc will find out what is wrong, fix it and then fully recover.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I have had several surgeries and, in fact, had the cyst you describe. Not fun. Still, if it is orthoscopic then she should be able to return quickly provided nothing much is wrong. Good luck to your dd. It is better to do this now than to let it continue.