DD going under the knife

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Wichita: Huge tear in the meniscus (bucket tear they called it)....couldn't walk without a like an ice pick like pain piercing my knee. Surgery repaired it and torn it again during PT. Surgery #2 and PT #2 fixed things up petty good.

Even if the meniscus is torn, the downtime is only 4-5 weeks, with PT, for an old fart like me.
The discomfort was gone immediately after the procedure both times.

For a teenager, she'll be back and better than ever in no time.

Best of luck however it goes.

Both of these issues are easily treated in teens. They are super conservative with teens because they have more blood supply in the meniscus so it can heal better than adults. (Kids have even more blood supply.) They don't just want to go in and take out tissue. The laporoscopy (sorry about spelling) is minimally invasive, helps really look at the tear, and they recover really quickly. The length of time to returning to sport is based on what the doctor finds and whether it will be rest, repair (which CAN"T be done in adults BTW), or trim. I have heard of parents getting meniscus trimmed to hurry the kid back rather than take the wait and see approach. I am not sure that is wise. If you trim the meniscus you can never get that tissue back.

Yep, do it right even it means missing some time now. DD2 had her ACL fixed in January and will miss all of her Jr year, but we were not going to allow her damage it more by playing thru it or rushing back.

Ok so surgery was a success. She had some scar tissue on the side of the knee and on the medial meniscus which the removed and her knee cap wasn't tracking right so they released the tissue on the side of the knee cap so it will track normal. So at least it wasn't anything major. And Dr. Said maximum of 10 weeks until she can play again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi