DD cannot throw strikes..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2020
It can be frustrating and do sympathize with you. If she is a tall lanky girl then the best advice is to not get discouraged. Her best days of softball and pitching are still ahead of her. If she is in the mid 50’s leaving 12u she is in a decent place for the future. Now we have always looked at pitching different then many do but we have always believed in the throw hard with proper mechanics and then learn to control it. A couple of things we do that work for my DD is throwing into a net often. Any time we are working on mechanics or just needing to get some reps in without a game coming up we just use a net/tarp. To me it allows them to just focus on the mechanics and getting the feel without the worry of hitting a location. The other thing we do when getting ready for a tournament or game is we start the week with throwing dead red meatballs. My opinion is getting everything going straight and finding the release point sets everything else up. Everything from warm up drills through full pitches I want it straight. Once the meatballs are consistent then it is very easy to dial in the corners. Before we started doing this it seemed DD would have one corner she could hit and would miss the other. It would go back and forth from week to week which side of the plate was her best that week. Once we went with getting everything straight first then it had her constant every week hitting both sides.

I would encourage her to keep slinging the ball and never try to teach her to slow down to throw strikes. I would want to see her adjusting from pitch to pitch. If my girl throws 3 way to high she knows the next one better be right or it had best be on the ground. Doing the same thing over and over no matter how many times you do it you will still get the same wrong results. Good luck to you on the pitcher parent journey. It can be one of the most frustrating yet amazing experience ever.

Thank you for the advice. This is essentially what I’ve done and will continue to do but seeing that she’s not consistent in the zone Im just trying to add a little more focus on the accuracy part to get her into games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 22, 2020

There is a flaw/inaccuracy between your comments of her mechanics, the instructor saying she is good
Between
The reason for your post
Cant throw strikes.

Does the instructor know she cant throw strikes?
And
Do you think she may need an adjustment within her mechanics?

Theres a gap/blind eye/flaw in this conversation !
Good but cant throw strikes...?
Just sayin' Peculiar.

Quite possible. I’m just trying to get all the information out there the best I can.

Jul 31, 2015
Pls send video. You can film from the neck down if you’re worried about privacy.

Brush interference is the contact her forearm should be making with her hip as she releases the ball. Unfamiliarity with this is might be a big clue about why she’s having trouble with accuracy.

1628610117972.gif

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Quite possible. I’m just trying to get all the information out there the best I can.

Specifically since you are paying an instructor
But asking questions here to understand...
I'm pressing the topic with the instructor because
Thats your/dd teaching/guidance.

Specifically important you and instructor communicate honestly and clearly.
Hey instructor why do you say my dd is good when she struggles to throw strikes?!
Shouldnt we be paying attention to control more?!
Can you offer a rate % of strikes she should be able to throw at this point in her journey.
Examples
10 of 20 strikes
15 of 20
? of 20
Would set a goal. With timeline to that approach.

And/or consider a second opinion instructor who may have a helpful suggestion to grow through this learning process.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"I would encourage her to keep slinging the ball and never try to teach her to slow down to throw strikes."

This^^^^ and try having her throw to a bownet instead of a catcher can sometime help. It dehumanizes the target and stop her from worrying about what the catcher is thinking. Would like to see video but my guess is the problem is between the ears. If you believe you cant throw strikes, then you cannot throw strikes. Pitching is a lot like golf. Visualizing and believing where the ball is going to go is more important than perfect mechanics.

Nov 22, 2020
Pls send video. You can film from the neck down if you’re worried about privacy.

Brush interference is the contact her forearm should be making with her hip as she releases the ball. Unfamiliarity with this is might be a big clue about why she’s having trouble with accuracy.

View attachment 23515

After viewing this and comparing it to my DD’s release zone, this could be the issue. There’s a significant gap btwn her forearm and hip.

I’ve been trying to upload video or add a gif but it’s next to impossible trying to get it up on this forum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30