DD breaks clavicle on throwing side

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2012
USA
:(
So DD (14U) has had a recent surge in her work ethic. She had a rough time at a tournament in November and realized that she wants to be the best she can be. Since then, she is focused, she works out on her own, and she sought the help of a varsity player to help her skills. DD also takes hitting/fielding/pitching lessons from former D2 players. The coach of DD's TB team is a former D2 player. Like I said, DD has found new motivation lately. She had practice yesterday, and she was diving for a grounder just out of reach. When she hit the grass as she was coming off the dirt, she tumbled, breaking her collar bone on her throwing side. Ugh! 6-8 weeks out and rehab to get back to where she was yesterday. Please tell me stories of great recovery from breaking collar bones.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I can tell you about my brother. When he was 14 he was playing hockey up at a recruiting camp for Michigan. He got checked hard into the boards and snapped his colar bone. He was sidelined for 6 weeks in the late summer/early fall. The bad news is that his season was hindered and he didn't make his HS varsity team that winter. The good news is that he did return to hockey, played his club season and continued from there, finishing out his career with a D1 college program. He broke his ankle and his elbow in college - the only way I can decribe his elbow is that it felt like it got exploded from the inside. He worked through both of these injuries, continued playing college hockey and still plays on a mens team today.
So unfortunately I can't give you a good answer, but it does all work out in the end.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
I do not know if this will help but here goes... During my junior year in high school I broke my right collar bone during a wrestling match. It ended my undefeated season (I was 4-0 at the time HAHA). The old doctor that set the broken bone told me, that while I was recuperating (yes 6-8 Weeks) that I should flex the muscles in my arms, back, and chest to prevent muscle atrophy. He also suggested riding a stationary bike to keep in shape. I was in a figure 8 hard cast that went around both collarbones. It was very uncomfortable. I listened to the old doctors's orders and flexed all day long,and rode my Mom's stationary bike while listening to albums for about 7 straight weeks. My cast was taken off on a Thursday and I wrestled in a tournament on the next Saturday. I started high school baseball the following Monday with out any problems or discomfort. The only pain that I felt was the pain of knowing that I got hammered in that wrestling tournament on Saturday.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I broke my left collar bone and dislocated shoulder (non throwing side) slipping on ice while shoveling snow 12 years ago. Anyway, I still dont have full range of motion and its achy on rainy days...

Dec 10, 2012
USA
DD went to the orthopedist this morning. The doctor said that her x-rays today are as to be expected. She is on restricted activity for 3 weeks (pending new x-rays at that time, a brace for 4-8 weeks and no softball for 12 weeks. I thought she would cry at the mention of 12 weeks, but DD held it in. I guess she will catch up on all those books she wants to read and I'll be saving the money we spend on lessons.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Hi - my son broke his collar bone twice- same place almost a year apart he was 10 then 11 when it happened (one from sledding the other from skiing!) It is a different type of injury depending on the age at the time of the injury and not at all comparable in adults and children- he recovered fine with absolutely no issues. Make sure the doctor knows your DDs interest in softball - may she can start doing things like throwing or batting by herself or in lessons before the 3 month time frame- which may be in place simply to prevent re-injury by being back on the field. I think those decisions depend on how bad the break is (in younger kids the covering of the bone is often intact- so the ends of the bone are not displaced and helps speed healing (est. 4-6 weeks), not so much in adults) Ultimately- you need to do what will be best for her in the long run as difficult as that is for her to not be active. I understand it is a painful injury - having been thru it twice with my son- but she will feel better soon. Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery. Her drive and enthusiasm for the sport will aid her recovery for sure!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
DD went to the orthopedist this morning. The doctor said that her x-rays today are as to be expected. She is on restricted activity for 3 weeks (pending new x-rays at that time, a brace for 4-8 weeks and no softball for 12 weeks. I thought she would cry at the mention of 12 weeks, but DD held it in. I guess she will catch up on all those books she wants to read and I'll be saving the money we spend on lessons.

Argh. I'm sending you good thoughts - it's never easy living with a disgruntled, bored teenager!! My daughter is addicted to "pintrest" - she likes the crafts and cooking. Maybe your daughter can find some things there to distract her.

Dec 10, 2012
USA
So, after 10 weeks, DD is cleared to go to physical therapy and begin playing softball again. The orthopedist said no more diving for catches until she is given "final" clearance in about 4 more weeks. PT appointment made and hitting lesson scheduled. Here we go with the crazy schedule again. We love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877