DD(18u catcher) wants to start calling pitches.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Here's a question: what experience or training does your DD have in calling pitches (if her travel coach not only doesn't let her do it but hasn't taught her)? same goes for coaches -- where did they learn to call a FP game?)[/QUOTE]

Exactly - IMHO unless they have FIRST-HAND experience a) catching and calling games AND b) playing FP, then, without years of experience and detailed scouting reports, they probably do no better job than an inexperienced U12 or U14 catcher could. In all honesty, I've found most poorly-called games have been coach called, and have seen at least as many if not more well-called games called by catchers. Coach control and/or ego are the most common obstacles that must be overcome.

My opinion is based on my own experience as a former college BB catcher and 10 yrs girls FP coaching. I KNOW that from the bench I can see only about half of what I could from behind the plate during a game. I've taught my catchers what I know, what to look for, and give them primary responsibility and accountability for pitch calling (and constructive feedback!).

If you care for a fuller discussion of this topic, just do a search for "who should call pitches" or "Rantmonsters" :D

Greenmonsters :)

Jun 13, 2010
If the Catcher does not do the calling she will never learn to do it. I feel that at 18u she should have been calling them for at least 4 years. The "Click" between the pitcher and catcher is vital to chemistry the Coach should not try to step on that.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
If the Catcher does not do the calling she will never learn to do it. I feel that at 18u she should have been calling them for at least 4 years. The "Click" between the pitcher and catcher is vital to chemistry the Coach should not try to step on that.

Couldn't agree more on the chemistry comment. Its awsome to watch a catcher calling the right spots and the pitcher hitting them. My 13 yo DD (catcher) had a game like that recently, her and the pitcher where completely in sync. They mowed down the competition. After the last strike, they both gave each other a big hug, huge smiles on their faces. Team work at its best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32