DD(18u catcher) wants to start calling pitches.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Our travel coach is persistant with him calling pitches. She needs advice on how to convince coach that her calling a game is the way to go. During rides home she would talk about how the wrong pitch was called at key moments.....saying "I knew the batter was gonna crush it.....". Im hearing more and more catchers calling games at this age level is the way to go for many reasons. I've asked the coach and was told he doesn't want the catcher to make calls because he knows the "overall situation" and he doesnt want to put that decision on her in the event it cost us the game. A big worry of hers is as recruiters are contacting her more a common question is if she calls the game.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I guess I would answer the recruiters by saying "My coach prefers to call the games." You can't bad mouth him at all.

Can she possibly get on another team?

I prefer that girls start calling the game at 12U, in travel ball.

Another team?.....No. Our team plays high level ball in many exposure tournaments. The core of the team has been together for 4yrs now. The head coach creates a wonderful environment that produces great young adults. To have fun while learning key life skills.....as fun as winning is its great to see a kid bounce back after a failure, or just to see them play with class, sportsmanship and commited work ethics......win or lose!
I want to provide my DD with some ways to approach the coach. Just like in the corprate world, when an employee in the heat of the daily grind could have a better solution that is not part of the "standard operating procedure".

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've got to agree with your coach... How could such a tender flower ever possibly endure the responsibility? She would positively wilt from the shame and angst! Such would take women from their natural sphere and into an unnatural activity of reasoning, that of which they have little knowledge or experience. And, everyone knows women are too emotional... She will get the vapors, no doubt from such an unwholesome activity!

Whoops...sorry, I thought you were talking about whether women should vote.

To answer your question:

She needs to open a dialog with the coach about pitch calling. The only hope is for her to ask the coach to teach her how to call pitches

The reason that the coach calls the pitches is one of control. In college softball, the idea is that the pitching coach will go over the scouting report of the batters, and formulate a game plan. In travel ball, there is no scouting and no plan. So, the coach kind of makes it up as he goes.

And, don't forget the delusional aspect of softball--"I'm going to call a drop back door curve at 58.5 mph. That'll do it!"

(FYI...my DD played for the DG Rebels back in the late 1990s.)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
Removed a double post--sorry, don't know how I did that -- see below : >

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
Here's a question: what experience or training does your DD have in calling pitches (if her travel coach not only doesn't let her do it but hasn't taught her)?

I do think there's a great deal of thought and skill to calling a game. I also do believe catchers at that age can do it themselves, if they know how to (same goes for coaches -- where did they learn to call a FP game?)

My daughter is an 18U catcher too. When she was 14/16, her team had weekly "battery sessions" during the winter with a pitching coach (doubled as pitching practice) where the catchers learned to call the game and work with pitchers.

So....maybe the best, as Sluggers say, is having your daughter ask the coach to approach this as a learning experience. Sounds like you have the right environment for that conversation and that learning opportunity. Maybe they both could learn something : >

Best of luck.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I am shocked that the coach micro-manages at this age. I encourage catchers
calling the game at 12U as well. STOP DRINKING THE KOOL-AID and either
switch teams or have a conference with coach. You should have talked to him
regarding this 4 years ago when he whipped up the first jug of parent kool-aid

Sep 3, 2009
My dd had a coach last year that wouldn't even give the signs to the catcher; was afraid they'd mess it up. He would give them straight to the hurler. The team she is on now, the coach stressed that he will slowly work them into calling their own (12u). DD is excited about this year.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Calling Pitches

We have worked with several coaches at various levels over the years and it seems there are a few "control freaks" out there. This past season my DD played for an excellent team that the catchers called the pitches. The coaches had a code word to override them in certain circumstances when they thought a change up should be used. The catchers know better than the coaches in most cases at this age as to what pitch to call. They learn and know the batters, they know which pitches are working for their pitcher and which ones aren't. It is best to let them call the pitches.

Recruiters and scouts are well aware that coaches often call pitches. I don't believe this sways them from a talented catcher.

There are ways to appeal to the coach in a diplomatic, respectful way. It may be best to have your DD approach them and express her interest in the game and that she would like to try calling the pitches. She may request calling pool games or scrimmages to let the coach ease into this new situation. Most humans aren't wild about changes, or giving up control... She may suggest a code word for the coach to call an occasional pitch. Good communications between the coach, the pitcher and the catching staff will be a must. Good luck.

Jul 26, 2010
If the team is an exposure "showcase" team, the coach isn't doing them any favors by calling the pitches. Most scouts will see this and shake their heads. I agree with Sluggers in that she's going to have to get her coach to give up the ghost, and the best way to do it with insecure control freaks is to make them think that she's asking him to impart is illustrious top secret knowledge onto this undeserving peon. Maybe she can work out a deal with him in that she gets to call games on Saturday but he can still call the Sunday elimination games or something.

At the very least, she should insist her HS team let her call pitches. At least in her rec, er, I'm sorry, HS team, she'll see the same batters over and over so she'll get the "scouting" part done on her own. There is a fair bit of homework, but you can really learn a lot from a batter just by watching them in the on deck circle. Not the easiest thing to do when you're catching a game, but not impossible.

If she really wants to impress her travel ball coach and do a good job, make sure she's watching/scouting all the other teams at the tournaments between her own games.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck