DD’s Position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is at 12U because they needed a P. Start of fall ball the Manager asked what other positions she liked to play, 1st base of course. (I know I have said this in a few posts but am trying to keep all posts independent of each other, sorry if I sound like a broken record)

I explained to him that DD was moved around to all the different positions and has not really figured out the how to play any specific position. Her old Manager would try to level everything and put the other Players where they could be successful and put DD in whatever position was left.

He thought I was kidding and said he would settle her into a position. He did the same thing to her during the fall, she has played every position but C which is off limits. Including the bench cheering her teammates on.

I have asked her if she cares about being moved around so much and her response was as long as they let me pitch I will play any other position they put me in. And by play I mean she is the 1st player on the field and gives it her best, sure she makes mistakes but it is not lack for lack of effort. Personally I enjoy watching her race with the other OFs to balls in the outfield more than her making a nice play at SS.

Long-term I do not think she will be a P or an infielder but I would like her to settle in to at least 1 or 2 positions. At this point I do not care what position, just somewhere. She just wants to be on the field so she is easily taken advantage of.

When do players start settling down at a position?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I only have the experience of 12U and Fall 14U but it seems that it will take until the end of 12U for players to develop enough for you to see the skills that would make them suited more for one position or another. I started seeing those kids that could cover a lot of ground to get to a popfly. The skill to read a ball coming off the bat to instinctual know charge, stay, drop a foot back and then know the situation to get the lead runner. And then there is the Catcher. That is a position that takes a while to develop. A kid that was willing to put on the gear and catch the ball gets replaced by those that enjoy playing a very physically hard and complicated position. So by 14U you will see some solidifying of positions.

Jul 12, 2010
Sounds like she has found her place - utility player! Not necessarily a bad place to be, especially if she is a good hitter.

That said, by 12U, most players seem to settle on a position, or at least a primary position and a secondary position.

EDIT - a lot of girls enter a significant growth period in 12U. That may mean they are better suited to a different position after their growth spurt than they originally thought. So maybe Insidepitch is right that it is more 14U.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I think it is important to think of themselves as a softball player first ;). Definitely by the age of 16 but I feel they should at least know three positions.

In TB/HS DD was mainly a catcher, outfielder who could play 2B.

In DI she was switched to catcher who played 3B. The time she spent playing at the lower levels at different positions made her a better player.

On the 12U team I coach, I have at least 6 that are really good 2B. But depending on the lineup, who goes were depends sometimes on where else I need to put someone.

I think it is a great attribute for a player to be able to say, "Yes coach, I can play there!" when coach asks about a particular position.

May 31, 2009
Agree with team mom, utility player isn't a bad place to be. Might have a better chance of making highschool/college teams if they know you can play multiple positions well.

In highschool my DD was #2 pitcher and could play most any other postion quite well. She played center field most of the time, but coach would put her in other postions when needed. DD's coach paid us compliment her senior year, and told me he wished he had 9 of my DD so he could play her at every position. Not that DD was better than all the other girls (which she wasn't), he just knew that where ever he played her, she would do a decent job.

Feb 3, 2011
I'm with Team Mom and Pridefpsb. I think it's great that your DD is a utility player and can do whatever her team needs, and also that for her, being on the field contributing is top priority.

I've got a 10u team and overall player development is my interest. Pitchers and catchers get more game time than others at their primary positions, but at this age, every player gets plenty of infield and outfield practice. Apart from our 2 catchers and 2 main pitchers (who also play 1B), it isn't time for my young players to really begin specializing yet. Most will go through 10u as utility players, but it is likely that some will see a lot more time in the infield, others more time in the outfield. Coming from my team, though, all will understand that every throw has a backup assignment, etc.

In our area, most players of all levels are settling into a position by 12u.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
he wished he had 9 of my DD so he could play her at every position. Not that DD was better than all the other girls (which she wasn't), he just knew that where ever he played her, she would do a decent job.

Good for her.

Sent Manager a thank you last week and he responded with he wished he had 8 more like DD. It had nothing to do with her ability it was aimed at her effort, listening and being a Team player. She somehow makes the players around her better and they do the same for her. It is fun to see it happen as the season progresses.

Utility player it is. I just know she could be better if she spent some time at 1 or 2 positions then being all over the place. She does do a decent job wherever she plays and is having a good time.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Versatility is good.

It sounds like you think her ultimate destination is going to be outfield. If that's the case it doesn't hurt at all to pick up as much circle time as she can now (because she enjoys it) and as much IF time as different positions because it will make her more attractive to teams and give her a better understanding of all the positions.

Unless she is a super stud at one position, no need to really specialize at age 12.

Jul 25, 2011
Nothing wrong with being versatile. I was a catcher all through little league (played baseball), with some infield experience thrown in there. When I got to high school there was an amazing senior catcher. So I ended up starting in the outfield because I was willing. I also played SS and 2nd that year. For tourney I played CF, 1B, and SS when I wasn't catching. After being the starting catcher my sophomore and junior years, we had a dire need at SS my senior year and I offered to play there. I'm playing softball in college and 1B had the weakest players, so I tried there and am now starting. Versatility is definitely not a bad thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck