DD’s Position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 31, 2010
DD played up in 12u this spring & has played every position on the field including pitcher & catcher. Her favorite places are P, LF, 1st, & C but she doesn't really care where she is as long as she's playing and she's pulled off some very nice plays at SS & 3rd this season.

Apr 1, 2010
My DD will try anything but pitcher. (Heck, she'd probably try to pitch too :), but she knows darned well that she doesn't have the training.) Unfortunately, due to her ankle issues, she's not getting to catch right now. She's practicing at second, but even though she's been working hard at practice and on her own time, she's not getting any game time there, even during pool games. She's getting some playing time in right (she's conscientious about backing up throws, but IMO she's just not fast enough for the outfield) and some at bats (she's either down near or at the bottom of the lineup or not batting at all.) Heaven knows, I try not to be one of THOSE parents, but I'm not happy. We've gone back to her old batting coach--her average used to be in the mid-600s and I've also found someone to work on her fielding skills.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We've gone back to her old batting coach--her average used to be in the mid-600s

During games this year DD is not doing very well hitting, in practice she looks great.

After practice coach bats her 1st or 3rd, after a game she gets placed at the bottom of the order. All is good, she doesn’t care where she bats and is trying it just working out this year yet. It will.

Good luck and be patient.

Apr 1, 2010
During games this year DD is not doing very well hitting, in practice she looks great.

After practice coach bats her 1st or 3rd, after a game she gets placed at the bottom of the order. All is good, she doesn’t care where she bats and is trying it just working out this year yet. It will.

Good luck and be patient.

Thanks! I figure it's important to take steps to improve her game, since she's not happy about her playing time. Just sitting around grumbling doesn’t help anyone! :) I thought she was looking good in practice, but clearly, it's not enough. In order to get an opportunity, she needs to start having spectacular practices. My DD usually hits better off live pitching than in practice off the machine, so she’s going to really have to step it up there to get a chance to get more at-bats. She did have a pretty good batting lesson this week with her old/new instructor who uses a screen and throws live. I think/hope that cheered her up a bit. She had been pretty discouraged after not getting a hit in her three at-bats in this last tournament (5 games).

I may not like it, but I can understand why the coach would be down on her. He wanted a reliable catcher and instead he got a girl who hasn’t been behind the dish in ages, who’s too slow to beat out anything but a hit to the grass, is also too slow to cover much ground in the outfield and is struggling at the plate. I’m hoping that DD can turn it around with some hard work and maybe learn a valuable lesson at overcoming obstacles.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
MsDinosaur,
First step is realizing you have a problem.Second step is getting help.Sounds like a AA meeting advice.My DD is 13yrs old and she never hits well off of a pitching machine.I think because she never really gets to hit off a machine.It helped to take her on my on to a batting/pitching machine cage.I explained where the ball comes out.I also made sure I or the person feeding the machine did it the proper way.Need to do a windmill motion with your right hand and with the left hand feed the machine.Also take your DD out as much as you can and pitch to her.The more she sees live pitching the more she will get comfortable.One day all your DD hard work will come together and she will be hitting the ball.Tell her to relax,you relax and have fun no pressure.See ball hit ball.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
My DD started in outfield from 10-12 years old; then this year, she went to 3 different teams, and all three played her at the corners and pitcher. Only the older team put her in OF once, but because it had been almost 6 months since she played there, she didn't do so well. So now, she's either 1B or 3B or Pitcher. I agree that the more flexible you are, the more valuable you become; however, hitting is critical as well. She says she misses outfield sometimes, but she doesn't feel as comfortable as she used to feel out there. Now she's working on being "loose" at the corners...it's taking some time for her to work on reaction, but the important thing is she's improving (and hitting LOL).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
What level ball is she playing? Most rec ball coaches will move girls around to multiple positions throughout the season. As she starts to get older and play a higher level of ball you will find more and more girls who specialize in one or two positions. Utility players who can play multiple positions are valuable, but you do not want her to become proficient at 8 positions, but a master of none......

Apr 1, 2010
My DD? She's a catcher on a first year 12U B team; she aged out of her previous 10U B team. But she developed Sever's Disease which gave her sore feet and ankles, so she hasn't been catching lately. When she isn't catching, she gets some innings in the outfield, but 1) she's an action junkie who doesn't really enjoy the outfield and 2) she really doesn't have the sprinting speed to play it well. Bottom line, if she can't catch, she has to improve her fielding skills if she wants to get a few innings somewhere on the dirt, probably 2B or 3B. I can't see our SS sitting out and the team has a bunch of lefties piled up at first.

I'll be glad when she can get back to catching, but I can understand her wanting to have a chance to play second and I'm willing to work with her and find others to work with her on it--as long as she puts in the effort. And, as maksoftball mentions, hitting! Everything will look better when she starts hitting well again!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD's on 1st year 12U B Team, C is off limits because of sore feet and ankles, Sever's Disease.

A couple similarities between our 2 DDs. :)

I think she might be stuck with the Sever's Disease until she is 14 or 15 so getting your DD into a different position makes a lot of sense. If she is quick, not necessarily fast, and fearless I might target 3rd first but I do not know who is in front of her.

Apr 1, 2010
Wow, it is a small world, quincy! You have her pegged: she is quick, but not fast and is fearless. I think she should be looking to break in at 3rd base. At team practices, she's currently one of the 2nd basemen and likes it there. She would be behind other players at both spots. Our 2nd baseman is good at second, she's young and small to play elsewhere and her family owns our practice field. :-O We have a girl who's pretty good at third and very good at center, our ace also likes to play third when she's not pitching and one of the outfielders also practices at 3rd. DD would have to work hard, but I don't think it would be impossible; it would let the ace get more rest and it would give us our best center fielder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck