daughters back injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 8, 2010
My daughter is 14 and spent last winter in pitching clinics. Did extremely well this year up untill her back injury. Spent 6 weeks in Physio to come back into playoffs. We went out a couple of nights ago after a couple of months off and she started to complain again about her back but only after we quit for the night. Her clinics start up again in a couple of weeks. My concern is what action plan to take here. Her mechanics seem fine but as a parent of course I'm concerned about long term injury. I have a series of action photographs taken at 8 FPS of her pitching. Who is the best professional to seek advice from. Her pitching coach is an excellent mentor and she played for the Canadian national team, but would she be able to adequately assess whats possibly is going on.?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It depends on how educated you PC is, as to whether she can see a flaw in your DDs delivery.

What specifically was her injury? Is she continuing her exercises from PT? What did the PT say about core strength?

There are several things that could go wrong in a persons pitch, that would cause back pain.

May 25, 2010
Truth on core strength, but you've got to see a doc who specializes in sports medicine.

Did she have an MRI done?

Don't like to hear of a 14-year-old with back pain, so if I were in your shoes, I would avoid the pain- (which is different from 'minor discomfort') causing activity until I had an updated assessment and prognosis.

I wish her a quick return and a long, pain-free career once this is resolved.

Sep 21, 2009
KS
When my dd had trouble with her L4 2 yrs ago it was because she was twisting body very slightly when swinging her arm back. Sports doctor ordered phys. therapy with a PT that specializes in student athletes. He was excellent and he evaluated her pitching movement, once PT was done, core strengthened and motion corrected - no more pain. She continues to do her PT exercises today to keep her core strong. Her current pitching coach is great - and is very conscience of dd's motion, but I would always seek a sports medicine doctor for pain related issues and utilize a PT to break down the movement and identify what is causing the problem. Medical professionals that specialize in athletes are the experts when it comes to the body & pain, not coaches and parents...unless they happen to be a sports doctor :)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2010
Great start of advice. My daughter has not been continuing with her PT exercises since ball season ended 8 weeks ago. We just thought that once the injury was cleared up we would be good to go. Both the Doctor at the PanAm sports clinic (sports medicine doctor) nor the PT actually did an analysis of the pitching delivery but I think that is really the next step. My daughter is really dedicated to picking up her speed and wants to work on a couple of new pitches this winter, ie she'll put the effort in and listen well to the advice of a PT or Doctor. We just need to figure out who to start with. Do we go back to the PT or if we go back to the sports clinic how do we know that there is a doctor that can review her mechanics. You almost need a softball expert wouldn't you? My daughter says that there is no pain while pitching only immediately after. That would tell someone knowledgeable something about what's going on wouldn't it? Incidentally I didn't mention that I am and have been coaching both daughters for 5 years. (played 17 years) I am well versed in the game, coaching, technical and tactical, but quite reluctant to offer any advice as I am not qualified as a pitching instructor by any means.

Oct 8, 2010
Great advice. She has not had an MRI done. And how do you exactly get from a 14 year old to tell you the difference from minor discomfort and pain. I know that during playoffs she was in we'll call discomfort but just got to the point that she wanted to pitch so badly during playoffs that I don't really believe that she was really all good to go. Knowing what my decision would be as I made sure she was not pitching during her PT she would tell me that she was fine. It's a tough call. Incidentally we went on to win the provincial playoffs.

Oct 8, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. I'd like to upload a sequence of Reid pitching but not sure how to do this. THe file size of 14 pics in 1 pdf is 1 mg.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Go to Photobucket. It is pretty self explanatory. Then, put the links to your pics in your post.

Just to throw out some injuries that my DD had -a muscle imbalance, an impingement, and a hot gallbladder (which I thought was back problems.)

Jul 26, 2010
Send a note to your local universities softball program asking for recommendations on sports medicine doctors they have used, and you may find one who understands the pitching motion. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction and just need to narrow the focus a bit.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877