Daughter pitching at 13

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2009
Just bought the new Flip and am trying this for the first time. This is a video of my daughter pitching at practice tonight. she seems a little out of rythm lately and we would appreciate your thoughts. Hopefully I did this correctlly.

YouTube - Meg @ 13

Jan 27, 2010
Your DD has sound mechanics overall but has a little lean just prior to release.Three seconds of video don't give you a lot to go on.I don't want to base an opinion on such little information.However, I do believe there may be some timing on her stiffening her stride leg that can be improved.I would really like to see more.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Spat

Have a couple of questions for you. Does she have a tendency to hit her hip with the ball? Also, is her consistency a bit erratic at times? Both to the outside and inside but more to the outside?

A couple of observations. When she does her back swing I am seeing the arm go back behind the back. This will throw off the rhythm of the windmill. It will be a little late (Split seconds) getting to release and the hips will be turned too much. So she will either be pitching around her hip or will hit her hip. The ball has to be past her back hip before she starts turning it or she will be erratic to the inside.

The other thing I see but isnt real obvious because of the angle of the video is it would appear she is swimming her glove hand outside instead of bringing it straight down. A good correction for this is to have someone stand beside her with a swimming pool noodle at about the spot where you see her arm and hand swing out. If she does it then she will hit the noodle. Instant feedback. It will aggravate the crap out of a 13 year old. ;) But it will cure the problem in time. This will cause her to turn her shoulders and the ball will go outside.

PM me if you want some other suggestions.

Dana.

May 13, 2008
Biggest thing I see is that she is striding left of the power line and her foot is almost pointing directly at the catcher. This is preventing her from fully opening up and is robbing her of some power. Ideally you want the foot landing on the power line at about a 45 degree angle. Correct this and she will be able to straighten up a little better.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Chris,

Its hard to tell if she is "Swinging the Gate" and the leg is going that way or if the glove hand swimming is pulling her momentum that way. I have seen both cases. Agree with your statement.

Oct 21, 2009
Have a couple of questions for you. Does she have a tendency to hit her hip with the ball? Also, is her consistency a bit erratic at times? Both to the outside and inside but more to the outside?

A couple of observations. When she does her back swing I am seeing the arm go back behind the back. This will throw off the rhythm of the windmill. It will be a little late (Split seconds) getting to release and the hips will be turned too much. So she will either be pitching around her hip or will hit her hip. The ball has to be past her back hip before she starts turning it or she will be erratic to the inside.

The other thing I see but isnt real obvious because of the angle of the video is it would appear she is swimming her glove hand outside instead of bringing it straight down. A good correction for this is to have someone stand beside her with a swimming pool noodle at about the spot where you see her arm and hand swing out. If she does it then she will hit the noodle. Instant feedback. It will aggravate the crap out of a 13 year old. ;) But it will cure the problem in time. This will cause her to turn her shoulders and the ball will go outside.

PM me if you want some other suggestions.

Dana.

She has always been very accurate, but has started to struggle lately (last month or so). She has started hitting her hip and keeps missing high. she has also lost velocity on all of her pitches. She seems to have lost her flow or rythm. She does tend to swim the glove and has been working on that most of the winter......old habits are hard to break. Thanks to everybody for their insight. Feel free to offer more if you see anything else.

Jan 27, 2010
Again not a lot to go on. What I suspected from watching the 1st video was confirmed on the 2nd. Your DD's hip is closing too early and is a bit wide. She needs to keep her hip rotation tighter. She appears to stiffen her stride leg early and forcing her to fall off to the side. This could cause her to throw a lot of pitches inside or if she tries to adjust may cause her to throw high and outside by throwing around her hip.Stay on the powerline until the pitch is gone then fall off in a defensive position.Still need more video and more than one pitch to analyze with confidence.

May 7, 2008
DFW
She has always been very accurate, but has started to struggle lately (last month or so). She has started hitting her hip and keeps missing high. she has also lost velocity on all of her pitches. She seems to have lost her flow or rythm. She does tend to swim the glove and has been working on that most of the winter......old habits are hard to break. Thanks to everybody for their insight. Feel free to offer more if you see anything else.

The missing high might be due to her trying to leap out further. Have you been putting a lot of emphasis on that this winter? This would be normal to some degree if you have been working on that too.

Dana.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
According to the view from the rear, when she starts her forward arm circle it seems to start forward more sideways than down. Is this an anomoly and for those that know, does it matter?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32