Daughter is a tee warrior, but back hip stops on live pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
That's a poor video. Can't pause it or slow it down so there's nothing to see but a lob pitch that might have gone yard or might be a ground out to short. He does have a pretty big bat tip and he may be turning the barrel around his right arm but I can't tell.
source.gif

Jul 29, 2013
Not that it matters but "he" is Manny Ramirez in HS. It also doesn't matter that it is a lob pitch or where the ball went.. ;)
My bad. Afterall, it's Manny! Do you have any t-ball videos of him that we could fawn over? Or maybe a first grade class pic?

Jun 8, 2016
My bad. Afterall, it's Manny! Do you have any t-ball videos of him that we could fawn over? Or maybe a first grade class pic?
You kept saying he, that is the only reason I said that. If you cannot see HIM turning the barrel (which I think was the intent of the original post) in those gifs that is fine, I can. Somebody can turn the barrel and still mishit a ball :) .

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
I am not suggesting anyone is correct or wrong. I don't know. But this is all really frustrating. Years ago I read Charlie Lau Jr's book. He referenced Manny in the book as a model swing for pulling the knob. In continuing to try and learn I came across somebody selling their 'Rotational' hitting system. Using (guess who) Manny as PROOF, the pulling the knob is not how to hit. Now Manny is being used in Turning the barrel. aaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 29, 2013
I am not suggesting anyone is correct or wrong. I don't know. But this is all really frustrating. Years ago I read Charlie Lau Jr's book. He referenced Manny in the book as a model swing for pulling the knob. In continuing to try and learn I came across somebody selling their 'Rotational' hitting system. Using (guess who) Manny as PROOF, the pulling the knob is not how to hit. Now Manny is being used in Turning the barrel. aaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
Every swing could be defined as turning the barrel, depending on the definition.
Lau was hanging his hat on Manny because Manny's swing is good. Whether the particular swing was knob to the ball is debatable.
Was the bat on plane early and deep? Did the bat rotate around his back forearm. ...at a right angle to it, with the forearm as the axis? I think that's the definition.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017

I understand your frustration, because even in the Turn the Barrel circles, there is difference of opinion on how its done, and how to teach it.

Jun 4, 2014
Is the claim that the same thing is happening in both of these?

QUOTE="rdbass, post: 530549, member: 2269"]
IQtQ0eE.gif

[/QUOTE]
Every swing could be defined as turning the barrel, depending on the definition.
Lau was hanging his hat on Manny because Manny's swing is good. Whether the particular swing was knob to the ball is debatable.
Was the bat on plane early and deep? Did the bat rotate around his back forearm. ...at a right angle to it, with the forearm as the axis? I think that's the definition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13