Daughter is a tee warrior, but back hip stops on live pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My only claim was this:
20190923_094019-gif.15152

Is missing this(turn the ball forward towards the ball):
NCMQZvt.gif

Mannyhs3.gif

Now and not.......later.....

Oct 2, 2017
I think part of the problem is the way in some teach turn the barrel.

Some say this is what turn the barrel is:

Then some say that turn the barrel is the backwards motion of the barrel behind the batter.

That being said I think both are 2 parts of the same idea.

Jul 29, 2013
Agreed, two parts of the same idea. I once heard Carlton Salter, a Tewks disciple, describe it as turning the bat so that the part of the bat that was facing the catcher at the start of the swing is what hits the ball.
When he demonstrated it to me I saw that he turned the bat around the axis of his forearm....starting with a pronated wrist and supinating it. There are different ways to create energy to drive the wrist rotation from merely using the muscles of the forearm to using adduction of the humerus and/or using the rotational energy of the torso.
What Antonelli is doing is a version of creating rotational energy to move the bat.
There comes a point when swinging the bat becomes extension of the rear elbow. When extension starts before the barrel is completely turned the move involves radial /ulnar deviation, (cocking and uncocking the wrist) instead of supination.
Hands/knob to the ball folks only use radial/ulnar deviation.
Turn the barrel is the supination movement.
Swings involving both are common and are usually the result of timing adjustments. I see many low level swings with only wrist deviation. Many high level swings are supination dominant and I think this is what differentiates them from lower level swings.
The pitching guys have been on track with IR (internal rotation/pronation) for a while and the high level guys shun "hello elbow" which promotes a wrist flexion movment.
Both moments work but IMHO the supination /pronation movements are more efficient, more powerful, and faster for both hitting and pitching.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Agreed, two parts of the same idea. I once heard Carlton Salter, a Tewks disciple, describe it as turning the bat so that the part of the bat that was facing the catcher at the start of the swing is what hits the ball.
When he demonstrated it to me I saw that he turned the bat around the axis of his forearm....starting with a pronated wrist and supinating it. There are different ways to create energy to drive the wrist rotation from merely using the muscles of the forearm to using adduction of the humerus and/or using the rotational energy of the torso.
What Antonelli is doing is a version of creating rotational energy to move the bat.
There comes a point when swinging the bat becomes extension of the rear elbow. When extension starts before the barrel is completely turned the move involves radial /ulnar deviation, (cocking and uncocking the wrist) instead of supination.
Hands/knob to the ball folks only use radial/ulnar deviation.
Turn the barrel is the supination movement.
Swings involving both are common and are usually the result of timing adjustments. I see many low level swings with only wrist deviation. Many high level swings are supination dominant and I think this is what differentiates them from lower level swings.
The pitching guys have been on track with IR (internal rotation/pronation) for a while and the high level guys shun "hello elbow" which promotes a wrist flexion movment.
Both moments work but IMHO the supination /pronation movements are more efficient, more powerful, and faster for both hitting and pitching.

I agree that the supination/pronation is a quicker and stronger move. I see most MLB players today us mostly supination type swings movements. Yet you see a lot of old timers use a combination of both more in line with what Antonelli promotes.

Jul 29, 2013
QUOTE="clemenslee1, post: 530917, member: 16043"]
I agree that the supination/pronation is a quicker and stronger move. I see most MLB players today us mostly supination type swings movements. Yet you see a lot of old timers use a combination of both more in line with what Antonelli promotes.
[/QUOTE]
I think it's important to note the relative movement ranges.
In radial/ulnar deviation the range is only 75 degrees or so.
With pronation/supination the range is more like 180 degrees.

The ability to view this rapid motion in 1000 fps video allows us to see exactly what's happening and I think it's why there will be more and more hard hit balls as folks buy into the theory. There will always be the conventional theorist hard-heads who will find exceptions where someone like Trout goes yard with less than optimal efficiency, failing to take into account his size and athleticism.
My dd used to complain about my pursuit of perfection in her swing. With her power she could hit towering pop ups that would go yard and low line drives with the same result. Ultimately, when she faced higher and higher level pitching, the flaws were exposed.

Sep 17, 2009
You can snap a bull whip (or a bat) in many ways. The most powerful and in the context of the swing the one that also creates a timing and late-abort window is a move that *changes the direction* of the barrel, ie turns the barrel. When combined with optimal lower body movements this upper body movement also creates things like separation, stretch, hips-lead-hands and other things you'd want in an optimized 'bat' swing. If you tilt and 12-6 it correctly you also get full plate high-to-low and directional coverage.

Alternatively, you can also snap a whip or swing a bat by moving the knob (or bull whip handle) to a location and snapping or releasing from there. That is not the optimal approach for a hitter and is a mechanic that also typically brings along with it a lot of elements of a push swing, even if the hands are somewhat 'whippy.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28