Daily lol

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
So I know this is mostly fun and games and I appreciate the laughs. But i do wonder when we says that so and so only has 3 pitches - how many pitches did she try and discard to find her "3" pitches. Not saying we should necessarily chase rainbows, just that I bet some of them worked through a lot before they found "wow I'm really more of a natural drop ball pitcher" where someone elses bread and butter may be their rise or curve.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
At the college level, how much do pitchers rely on a fastball?

DD was at a camp in Jan, talking to a D1 pitching coach. This coach made the same point, have 2-3 great pitches. He talked about several of the big time D1 pitchers over that last few years, listing the pitches they through and fastball wasn't mentioned at all.

Technically the fastest pitch you throw is your fastball even if the movement is a drop or a rise or whatever....

That said, there are a lot of pretty high D1 pitchers who throw a pretty straight fastball (even if they call it something else). And a lot who throw a 'rise' which is nothing like a riseball but is just a hard, high fastball. I've seen 'curveballs' which were really just directional fastballs.

I've seen some very good college pitchers who are pretty much straight fastball/changeup pitchers (who rely on change of speed/excellent location)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Last night, DD worked out with her catcher, and the catching Coach.... here is what he did & videoed.... I had nothing to do with it :cool:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SyLNIOHl6Vg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Me-ar1mTVG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think he thinks she has 7pitches... :cool:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
So I know this is mostly fun and games and I appreciate the laughs. But i do wonder when we says that so and so only has 3 pitches - how many pitches did she try and discard to find her "3" pitches. Not saying we should necessarily chase rainbows, just that I bet some of them worked through a lot before they found "wow I'm really more of a natural drop ball pitcher" where someone elses bread and butter may be their rise or curve.

Great point. Makes you wonder about the can't learn the next pitch until you master this one thinkers.....

Jul 20, 2013
View attachment 9890

Aww, I'm just playing. There have been poor experiences in the past with situation like this, so I'm ready for the warnings to show up. :)

It's cool, my past experience with this situation was being the outcast in left field with no help at all. It really can't get worse and old PC was friendly at odd times but during practice it was "her way or no way so go away", it's a long story wrought with club tradition, coaching pride, etc. Just to give you a hint, we didn't have pitching practices, it was literally "CLUB NAME Pitching University"...weekly classes, no college credits though haha.

This PC is very different, demeanor is "equals".

I don't want to sound like I'm 'valubable' to our team, cause we just joined...but when I first showed up there's a crowd of parents sitting around doing nothing. Poor PC is sitting there catching with a line of 9 girls, can't focus on the other two stations, etc. balls flying everywhere and parents still watching, giggling. Moms looking confused, dad is looking bored, baby is playing in parking lot. Poor grandma and grandpa are the only ones standing up shagging the mis-pitches.

Next week I show up with nets, buckets, balls, plates, an attitude...and I'm in business. HC asks if I want to be coach and I say alright. Wife rolls eyes, guilt trips me on going back on my promise that I wouldn't coach. Our last team had 4 other coaches including me and I attribute that to our success, our dedicated coaches could really work with the girls more closely than the 1 coach we have. Now it's 2, lol

My wife found out through the grapevine this team is made of "the girls who don't matter as much because their older brother plays baseball". How's that?? Anyway, a lot of the girls have...no pitches lol. I see a lot of wrist rolling and rifle spins - makes my own wrist hurt! I look at that wicked palm down, wrist back and my anterior deltoid hurts...idk how they live with this.

PC told the other girls to work their "drop" after fastball to each corner...I thought OMG here it comes (welts on shin)...but it wasn't so bad. Saw mostly "rise balls" if anything, now the girls got 3 pitches lol. My DD...wow, it's all over. Fast and gets lucky on that snap over drop 1 out of 100 but maybe we'll get there, fingers crossed!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00